How to lift front of cast iron tub without damaging it.

Users who are viewing this thread

MaryAnnKacz

Reaction score
Have a bathroom that has mushy luan over concrete. Luan goes under tub a couple of inches. Have access panel in adjacent closet. Was able to just rip the wet luan. Luan is not nailed under tub. Would like to keep cast iron tub, 12 years old in great shape. Is there anyway after removing wall surround we can lift front of tub to slide luan out. Luan is only 1/4 inch. Will be installing ceramic tile up to tub. I don't see how we could possible grab a 300 plus tub just slightly to lift front. Any ideas how to get this luan out. I guess we could try to cut it along tub bottom, but don't want to damage tub.
Also don't want to leave rotted wood under tub. All this damage from not caulking under or around escutcheons or spout in tub shower, also sweaty toilet in same area. Had someone remodel our bath 12 years ago, guess they didn't know what they were doing.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The tub should be removed unless you can check from the valve wall to see where the leak is coming from. Most times you can get to the drain from the wall that the tub valve is on by cutting some dry wall in the room that backs up to it. The leak is most likely a bad drain but could be the trap. Yes, a CI tub can be lifted up a little from the valve end.

MaryAnnKacz

Reaction score
Have access to all the plumbing in adjacent closet. Everything is dry in closet around pipes. Cannot find leak anywhere. Checked all the pipes and tub drain. Floor feels moist under tub, but not around drain, just in one area. corner of wall with fixtures. Had plumber here when I first noticed vinyl flooring discolored. He noticed no silicone or caulking under or around escutcheons and tub spout. Also have a sweating toilet. He could find no leaks. Also, caulk along tub and surround on this wall won't stay because of wall being so damaged. I just thought if we could slide tub out a couple of feet, and work around it, it would be much easier than trying to get tub out of room. Having plumber change from 2 handle to one handle shower tub control, and he will also be putting a tempering valve on toilet line for sweating problem. He also suggested water wings(?) on tub ends to prevent overspray from shower.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You should be able to caulk the tub and regrout if necessary and that should take care of your problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks