Persistently leaking toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

MaryAnnKacz

Reaction score
Just noticed my toilet is leaking again when flushing. House is on slab. Original flange is still there, but about 2 years ago, plumber put some kind of new piece on it, because it was leaking then. Toilet has been taken out and reset about 3 times since then, and doesn't leak immediately, but eventually will. Have 5 year old who used to drop things in toilet.
It seems we cannot get a good seal. Do you think the problem is with the flange? We are in process of gutting bathroom. Toilet is by tub, and through access hole on valve wall, I can feel wetness, actually pulled out a piece of rotted luan under tub that had sitting water on it. Toilet is really hard to set.
One bolt keeps popping through flange slot. Plumber had a hard time too. What do you do with an old flange set in concrete, besides tearing up concrete to install new one. Also, will be putting ceramic tile on floor, after replacing vinyl twice in 10 years. Will be using a different plumber this time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion you have a bad flange, but it really doesn't matter because you will have to redo the flange anyway if you are going to use tile on the floor. Reason for that is the flange needs to be set on top of the finished floor so even if the old flange is in good condition, it would sit below the surface of the floor. Don't panic too much, breaking out a bit of concrete is not too major. A plumber will be able to do this, install the new flange, and redo the concrete fairly quickly. Don't blame the 5 year old for the leak, the things he/she drops in might clog the toilet and make it overflow, but will not cause it to leak at the flange. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If is fairly common for the floor under the toilet to not be completely flat or for the toilet to not be perfect, either. If the toilet rocks even a little when you sit on it, it will leak sooner rather than later. You need to shim it so it is rock solid. If it doesn't rock, then you could have a problem with the flange. Both need to be addressed when you put on the new floor and reset the toilet.

MaryAnnKacz

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I believe it is the flange too. Had plumber here today.
He just gave me estimate. Didn't pull toilet. He'll do that when he comes to install shut off for tub.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
The flange needs to be bolted to the floor (Tapcons work well for concrete) with only the thickness of the flange above the finished tile floor level.
The toilet should be leveled with a level across the bowl and shimmed with beveled plastic shims made for the purpose to level it.
The toilet should then be securely bolted to the flange so that it cannot move at all.
A regular wax ring seal should seal it good then.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks