Search results

1. Odysseus99

Your preferred wire type

I looked thru the Nat. Elec. Code and found no reference to a required type of wire in a submersible-pump well, other than the requirement that any wire in a wet location be made for that. So what's different about what they call "submersible" wire? Any reason why not to use underground...
  2. Odysseus99

Is larger pipe size a problem with a well?

I have a 400 foot deep well, have not yet put in a pump. Water at 300 ft., 6" steel casing. I was planning to use 1" drop pipe for the pump up to the pitless. Recently I found a good deal on 1-1/2" stainless steel schedule 40. Question is- is there any problem with using a larger pipe size like...
  3. Odysseus99

Pump installation questions

I've posted half a dozen questions the last few weeks on my pump installation. Thanks to Reach, Valveman, Craigpump, Texas and others for answers. I'm pretty close, just a couple more questions. Here's a summary so you have all the info: 400' deep well, 30gpm production, very clean water (a...
  4. Odysseus99

Centripro vs Franklin motor

I guess, from what I've read, that the Franklin motors are still highly regarded. Gould has a good reputation as well so the Centripro motors must be well made as well. I usually lean toward spending a bit extra now for longevity down the road. I want to go as long as possible before I have to...
  5. Odysseus99

2 wire vs 3 wire

I read this excellent thread from 2007 on this forum on this issue: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/2-wire-vs-3-wire-pumps.14991/ It really looks like 2 wire is best for me. I'll use a 1hp 7gpm with 300 ft static level and 350 ft total dynamic head. I need to string 750 feet of...
  6. Odysseus99

Aluminum wire for pump circuit?

My pump will be 750' from the control box and generator. I planned to use #8 copper for a 1hp motor, which by the charts is good up to 950' for 1hp. But I can get #6 aluminum a lot cheaper than #8 copper. #6 aluminum has the same ampacity as #8 copper. Is there a consensus about using aluminum...
  7. Odysseus99

Soft start pump motors

Thanks to all for your help as I figure out all the factors involved in a submersible pump choice. Wondering about soft-start motors. Obviously starting a motor slowly is going to be good for the motor on the long term. I guess it can decrease hammer effect as well. Questions- -Can soft-start...
  8. Odysseus99

Best internet supplier of submersible Grundfos for DIYer?

I've decided on a 4" 7gpm Grundfos pump and 1hp Franklin motor. What are the best internet businesses for getting this? (good customer service, reasonable price) If I buy the two separately, is it easy to connect them together?
  9. Odysseus99

What is a run capacitor?

I see they have different control boxes for some pumps, the more expensive ones have 'run capacitors'. What is a run capacitor? When is it best to use one? Thnx
  10. Odysseus99

Your opinion on my pump choice- deep submersible.

Hi guys- I think I've narrowed down my pump choice, but I just want to pass it by more experienced minds, see if I'm missing anything, and ask a question. Well depth 400', produces 30 gpm no sand or grit, static level 290' below head, pumping to a cistern not a pressure tank, vertical rise to...
  11. Odysseus99

Setting pump with poly pipe at 400'

My well is drilled, my driller is reluctant to set a pump with poly because he is a die-hard PVC guy. I don't want to use PVC because of chemicals but also because it becomes brittle with time. So I am considering setting a pump myself using poly. Here's my plan, please comment as you wish...
  12. Odysseus99

Depth of pump below static level?

Drilled a well, don't yet have a pump, may do it myself, researching how-to. The info- 400 ft deep well with 6 inch steel casing all the way, static level at 290 ft from top, producing clean water from rock at 30 gpm. Will be pumping to a holding tank (not pressure tank) that is 35 ft above the...
  13. Odysseus99

Suggestions for brands of well pump?

Hi folks, looking for a little advice here from those of you with knowledge about well pumps. Next week a driller will be on my site and will start drilling a well. I plan to install the pump, wire and pipe myself. So I've been surfing the web looking at pump options. There are a lot of brands-...
  14. Odysseus99

Joining poly pipe

Hi folks- I've decided to use poly pipe on my 5 acres for water distribution because it is longer lasting than pvc, and less poisonous. It's more expensive and harder to find, but I found a distributor near San Francisco, F+P in Brisbane, that is real cooperative and stocks 200psi in small...
  15. Odysseus99

Pipe size for pipe to water tank.

Hi folks- I'm doing my underground, and plan to run 250 ft of 200psi HDPE 1" pipe from the area where the well will be to a water tank, vertical rise of 40-50 feet max. Is 1" pipe large enough? I don't need a high flow rate pump. Thanks JG
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks