Search results

1. Beekerc

DPST switch question

are the two circuit lines in a double pole, single throw (DPST) switch electrically isolated? specifically, could I run A/C across one line and D/C across the other? here's my application. i have a garage door openers. in the old days, when i would go on a trip, i'd unplug it from the wall...
  2. Beekerc

Ventilating a server closet

Hi all, After having spent months in the electrical forum, now for a visit to HVAC. I have a server closet in my newly remodelled basement office. the picture is a cross section of the room, looking through the side wall. the closet is 3 feet wide. the reason for the two level ceiling and...
  3. Beekerc

combining circuits

i have two rooms in my newly remodeled basement. i ran two separate 20A circuits in each room (one circuit to the south and east walls, one circuit to the north and west walls). in case your wondering, one is an office, one is a small A/V room (it falls short of a "home theater" in terms of...
  4. Beekerc

Is this safe/compliant/doable?

I have just installed a motion sensor security light on an exterior wall. the inisde of that wall is the kitchen and happens to be right behind the refrigerator. Power for the light comes in the stud bay from the basement. there is a window in that same wall (about 5 feet to the left) where...
  5. Beekerc

one smoke detector or two

in the process of remodelling my basement, i'm upgrading the alarm system as well, primarily to increase the number of monitored zones because of added points of entry, and since they'll be out anyway, i'm looking at adding smoke/heat detectors. currently i have one smoke detector, centrally...
  6. Beekerc

Dressing an electrical panel

i don't know what the electricians call it but in computer racks and data centers, we call the practice of making all the wires and cables run nice and neat and bundling them by function "dressing the cabinet". Presume a panel where the wires can only enter through the top or bottom (and...
  7. Beekerc

how do i.....

change the caption "Member" under my avatar?
  8. Beekerc

really simple plug/receptacle question

the answer will be obvious to those who work with locking plugs, but this is my first foray into this area. i'm installing a 30A circuit with an L5-30R twist lock receptacle to support a new UPS for my server rack (yes, the one that keeps tripping the GFCI device). Until i actually get said...
  9. Beekerc

main panel humming

I noticed last night that my main circuit breaker panel is humming. no, it knows the words, it just chooses to hum instead. :D it's a square-D HomeLine, 42 slot, panel. I have a 200A residential service and has 27 breakers installed. 16 on the left and 11 on the right, if that makes any...
  10. Beekerc

Servers tripping GFCI

I'm currently remodling my basement. As such, I have had to move my rack of servers (4 dell servers, 2 pc's, 2 APC SmartUPS 1000VA UPS'es) out into the garage, until my basement office is finished. I have a 20A circuit servicing the garage, with a faceless GFCI (you may recall this from...
  11. Beekerc

wire nuts and electrical tape

I'm primarily looking for opinions of the pro's here, but even if you're not, i'd like your thoughts on..... 1) push in wire connectors vs traditional wire nuts. personally i like the push in, however, they do lack the release pin like back-stab connectors, so they're a little more...
  12. Beekerc

Working length of wire

From several sources I have come to understand that there needs to be 6 inches of wire extending from the front edge of an outlet box, light fixture box or junction box for the box to be properly prepared for the rough-in inspection. including the depth of the box, that makes 8 to 9 inches of...
  13. Beekerc

request for opinions - wallplate and receptacle colors

no, this is not for decorative purposes. in the house and basement, i have mostly white walls and use ivory colored switches, receptacles and wall plates. in the garage, all the receptacles will be the normal duplex style. each circuit, there are two, when the wires actually enter the garage...
  14. Beekerc

Transfer switch conduit in framing

i'd particularly like any washington state inspectors to weigh in on this topic. we'll ignore the fact that i've had 3 different inspectors (from city of seattle and state of washington) out and I neglected to ask any of them. here's the deal. the big gray flexible conduit/pipe holds the...
  15. Beekerc

3-way switch configuration advice

not sure if it's possible. i'm trying to arrange a 3-way switch configuration with multiple lights. the lights are in series (so one connection to switch/power). the switches are between power and load, but (yes, this is where i run into trouble) i don't want to (or can't without an extra run...
  16. Beekerc

Shared neutral

definitely a question for the pro's here. In the process of moving some circuits from the main panel breaks to the generator transfer switch breakers, i discovered a 14/3 wire in the panel. the black wire was connected to one breaker. the red wire was connected to another breaker. white...
  17. Beekerc

opinion about running co-ax

as part of my basement remodelling project, i'm revisiting all of my telco, network and video runs in the joist space under the subfloor. currently i have 100-foot bundles of RG-6 (i think, it may be RG58/59) because 50's were too short. as such, i coils of cables strapped to the subfloor...
  18. Beekerc

is it safe - light switch question

to an experienced electrician, this is probably a "DUH" question. and since most of my experience is with networking and low-voltage, i need to ask. if it's a stupid question, please don't hesitate to say so, you won't hurt my feelings. a light fixture where power comes to the switch, the...
  19. Beekerc

GFCI / GFI recommendation

I am looking for a GFCI device, 20-amp, with no receptacles (i've heard these called dead-face, blank-face and pass-thru). here's the kicker - i'm looking for it to have two indicator LED's - green for "working, power is flowing" and red for "fault condition". all the brands i've looked at...
  20. Beekerc

code compliance - GFCI and tamper resistant

2 questions, but both relating to NEC code 1) code says that receptacles (excluding appliances) in a garage must be GFCI. if I am wiring outlets along a work bench (approx 36 to 48 inches off the floor if that matters). do i need put a GFCI receptacle in each outlet box? or can i put one...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks