really simple plug/receptacle question

Users who are viewing this thread

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
the answer will be obvious to those who work with locking plugs, but this is my first foray into this area. i'm installing a 30A circuit with an L5-30R twist lock receptacle to support a new UPS for my server rack (yes, the one that keeps tripping the GFCI device). Until i actually get said UPS, i'm looking for a cheap PDU (power distribution unit) that had 5-20R/5-15R receptacles. I found a couple but they have an L5-20P plug on it. can i use this plug in my L5-30R receptacle? common sense says yes, it would be just like plugging a 5-15P into a 5-20R. i'm guessing there's are more than a few people here who use the locking type plugs/receptacles on a daily basis who would know for sure.
Thanks
BeekerC

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Twist Locks Are not the same as straight blades. Each receptacle will only accept the corresponding male. The PDU you are looking at is only rated at 20 amps. You could just buy an L5-20R Receptacle and use that until you are ready to get the UPS.

Beekerc

Reaction score
Twist Locks Are not the same as straight blades. Each receptacle will only accept the corresponding male. The PDU you are looking at is only rated at 20 amps. You could just buy an L5-20R Receptacle and use that until you are ready to get the UPS.

good to know. thanks.
easy enough, except for the fact that locking recep's are not cheap.
maybe i'll find a straight bladed PDU as I have the 20A circuit that I originally ran for the servers already wired.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There's an APC AP9560 (Input L5-30P, output (10) 5-20R) on that famous auction site for $25. He's got 10 of them.

Beekerc

Reaction score
plug/receptacle question

thanks for the tip. i have been looking there, but all were selling for $75 more. dont' know how this one escaped my radar.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Things like this come & go pretty quickly. These seem to be an especially good deal. I've bought a lot of Cisco gear and peripheral stuff like these PDUs over the years; saved a lot of money and never had a problem. In retrospect, a lot of the Cisco stuff was probably grey label, but it did the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks