request for opinions - wallplate and receptacle colors

Users who are viewing this thread

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
no, this is not for decorative purposes.
in the house and basement, i have mostly white walls and use ivory colored switches, receptacles and wall plates.
in the garage, all the receptacles will be the normal duplex style. each circuit, there are two, when the wires actually enter the garage pass through a 20A faceless GFCI (with both a red and green light), and all the duplex outlets in the garage are on the LOAD side, so GFCI protected. Code requires that we put that little tiny paper sticker on each wall plate that says "GFCI protected", but this will be a garage and workshop so i'm looking for something a little more robust. Leviton offers many wallplates that are thermally stamped (branded) with terms like "computer only", "isolated ground", etc. but none for "GFCI" in a duplex wallplate. so, if this were your garage, what would you do? here are some choices that i've come up with for my scenario

1) use the same ivory outlets and wallplates as inside and use a big label or sharpie to mark the wall plate as GFCI.

2) use the same ivory outlet but use a different color wallplate - although not sure what color would "denote" GFCI protection. the labels that i would use would be black on a white tape, so they'd standout against any color wallplate.

3) use a matched outlet and wallplate, but of a different color than ivory. and use the same label tape to tag the wallplate. this provides a little more color consistency than #2.

if this was your garage, how would you go about it?
Thanks in advance
BeekerC

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not have given it a 2nd thought. Way too much time spent on the subject just typing the question!

Just one man's opinion/

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
if this was your garage, how would you go about it?

I had to go look. I built my garage a few years ago but never got around to painting it the intended color.

There are no coverplates on the IV receps :D

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
opinions

okay, got it.
i started leaning towards the label method - GFCI in the biggest font i could print.
thanks to all who took the time to offer their thoughts.
Thanks
B

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gfci

It is my garage so I would know they are GFCI protected. Any way, I would be more concerned with using a "NOT GFCI protected" label, since you should not be concerned if the outlet IS protected. Just use it. Or put a sign at the door, "all outlets are GFCI protected".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Somewhere I saw a company that did laser engraving for switchplates. The idea was to permanently mark them so you could tell which switch did what (handy in places with lots of transients like hotels, guest bathrooms, etc.). This would be permanent. Haven't tried to find them, but google would probably work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks