Why do I get hot water but no heat from oil boiler?

Users who are viewing this thread

artistsnature

Reaction score
I have a Weil-McLain oil boiler, hot water baseboard, and the supply line froze (outside tank, overhead line). This happened last year too, so I had added heating oil additive to this year's tank, wrapped the pipe in heating wire and wrapped that in insulating tape. It still froze this year again. This is in northwestern NJ, and it got down to 2F.

The boiler turns on fine when called for hot tap water. It does not respond at all to a call for heat. When testing, it recycles (Beckett burner control blinks green) to indicate flame fail during ignition.

So - I assume that the flame won't stay lit because there's a blockage in the supply line. But then why does the boiler turn on when called for domestic hot water (tankless)? And aside from bleeding the line, what can a DIYer use to blow the sludge out of the line?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks