Which material to use to drain with

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am draining an RO system about 30'.
An RO system could probably use the existing 1/4" poly tubing. baed on the manual.
However the RO system is snug up against the garage ceiling and feeds straight up to a fridge.
Going to run the drain from one side of the garage, up into the ceiling and horizontally inside the ceiling, back down to a sink drain 30' away in the other corner of the garage.
When I run the drain horizontally I am thinking to mount it with a small slope on the pipe, inside the ceiling. I think the Joist is 14" tall, so I have some wiggle room to slope it like an inch or two over the 30', while staying 3" from the very bottom of the joist...I think that is code? To be clear this does not go though joists, it travels parallel with the 25' long 14" tall joist.
I want to figure out does it matter if I use, ABS, PVC, or stick to the flex drain line.
My plan was to go out of the RO with 1/4" flex about 3-5 feet and then feed that into a sloped 1/2" PVC drain line. The PVC drain line when it empties down into the stand pipe it will have an air gap.
The RO will really only think it is running the drain line 5' up into the extended pipe. It will empty into this PVC drain line that is sloped and gravity should take it from there to the stand pipe.
Does this all seem like it could work? I technically have no idea, I am just making this up from what little brain cells I still have left?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks