Which boiler good value for radiant

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
I have been heating my house with a 9kw electric boiler running radiant floor heat and it has been working great. I now built a large attached garage and am wanting to switch to a propane boiler to heat both house and garage
A couple heat calculations show around 80,000 heat loss my garage has tall ceiling and an upstairs
I am wanting to buy a good boiler but not looking to spend a fortune
Are the high Efficiency wall mounted boilers as reliable and long lasting as the larger floor mounted models?
I want something that I will be able to hookup and service myself
Thanks

Fitter30

Reaction score
Navien makes a good water heater/boiler. All.condensing boilers get there efficiency running 130* return water or lower above 87%. Aluminum can be used but with glycol have to use the correct type made for boilers with inhibitors and test the water for ph. Just pick a brand where parts are available in your area.

Last edited:

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
Navien makes a good water heater/boiler. All.condensing boilers get there efficiency running 130* return water or lower above 87%. Aluminum can be used but with glycol have to use the correct type made for boilers with inhibitors and test the water for ph. Just pick a brand where parts are available in your area.
Thanks I’m in small town North Dakota so nothing is specifically available. Do you have a link to one you would suggest? Is there a big difference between boiler and water heater some of them look alike so hard to tell what’s what

automaton

I just like reading manuals
Reaction score
I have a Navien and have read and watched practically everything one can find on the web about it. You can find some videos on youtube and see for yourself. They're fussy, sensitive units but if maintained, they are nice and can last a while. Parts are generally available online. The 3-way valves often fail (I already replaced mine) and so do flow sensors. I have read and heard better things about Rinnai and Lochnivar but they're anecdotal.
You're correct, there will be no warranty if you buy online or install it yourself, but if have the knowledge and local code allows it, why not. It costs quite a bit of money for the labor otherwise.
A boiler is going to be more complicated than just a heater - aside from the intake/exhaust venting and hot/cold water hookups it'll have extra hookups for the space heating side - supply, return, optional cold water feed. Navien sells a one-piece manifold that simplifies the install a bit although you could make your own or use a hydraulic separator. Other brands sells manifolds too; Webstone makes some generic Hydrocore near-boiler manifolds and also some neat combination valves. There are plenty of pictures and videos out there these days from professional installers showing the near-boiler and supply/return piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks