Where to tie in new basement vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Reed

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question, but I really haven't found the clear answer to this anywhere.
I'm adding a basement bathroom to a 2-bedroom house. There are two soil stacks coming into the basement - one serving a 1/2 bath on 1st floor, and full bath on 2nd floor. Basement bath will be below this. 2nd soil stack serves basement laundry, kitchen on 1st floor, and master bath on 2nd floor. There is a vent pipe running up from the laundry drain to somewhere ...

My question - the new vent for the basement bathroom group - does this have to run all the way to the attic to tie in to existing dry vents?
OR - can it tie into a dry vent in the 1st floor 1/2 bath?
OR - can I run the new dry vent along basement ceiling to tie into that existing laundry drain vent?

Property is Denver CO area, using 2018 IPC

Reach4

Reaction score
That would be good news! So the requirement to tie "above flood level of highest fixtures" only relates to where the dry vent connects to the main vent stack exiting the roof? This is where I was getting confused.
That requirement is that you tie in 6 or more inches above the flood level that vent serves. The vent for the basement laundry standpipe or sink only serves basement stuff. So you could tie into that at least 6 inches above the top of the standpipe or rim of the laundry sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks