When did code change to require bonding hot, cold & gas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
When did the code change to require bonding hot, cold & gas on a hot water heater?
Which code cycle?
I need to address an issue if a given water heater without bonding was legally installed such at the time -- in California.

I know CEC 250.104(B) is part of it, and the date is at least 2011.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is going to be a difficult question to answer, as there is no written code requirement to bond the hot water, cold water, and gas pipe together at a water heater. That is a common interpretation of the code enforced or asked for in Berkeley (I've not pushed the issue), and likely elsewhere in CA, but it's not in the NEC or CEC.

The NEC requires bonding the gas piping system, but 250.140(B)(1) allows the EGC in the circuit supplying the water heater to do that, no additional bond is required. On a metallic water heater with metallic pipes, the hot water is bonded to the cold water through the water pipe connections. [I think that's still true with dielectric nipples, but not 100% sure on that; the ones I've see have a plastic inner part to separate the water from the metal in the nipple but there's still a metal-metal path.] And the cold water is typically bonded within 5' of the water service entrance, which is the required location for connecting to it as a grounding electrode when there is a buried underground metal water service.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks