Water softener drain Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank Corl

Reaction score
My water softener drain line is currently connected to the sewer drain to a septic tank with an air gap and trap. However, I've been told that code here in Washtenaw County Mi requires the drain to be plumbed into the sump crock. Can I just run the drain through the sump cover or do I need to plumb in an air gap and/or trap?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I've been told that code here in Washtenaw County Mi
Told by who? There is often plenty of incorrect advice offered, much of which may be based on hearsay, misunderstanding or speculation.

Before doing anything, recommend that you first contact your local building inspection or department with jurisdiction, to verify for yourself the code requirements. If rerouting the softener drain is actually necessary, they should be able to also advise on the appropriate methods to comply with that code.

old_college_try

Reaction score
I used to live in your area. Do you have a septic field, or do you have sanitary sewer service to your house? If septic, then should not discharge to the field. Also, a lot of municipalities around there prohibit water softener discharge to their sewer systems. They recommend installing and discharging to a drywell.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I used to live in your area. Do you have a septic field, or do you have sanitary sewer service to your house? If septic, then should not discharge to the field.
Understand that there are credible differences of opinion on that.

Mine goes into the septic tank.

old_college_try

Reaction score
Understand that there are credible differences of opinion on that.

Mine goes into the septic tank.

I'm fairly sure that the County Health Department says that you should not drain into a septic field. However, I've read arguments for and against it. I'm guessing that the safest way to comply with local requirements would be to construct a drywell and discharge to that location. Not sure how they're kept from freezing though. Does the brine solution prevent the discharge from freezing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks