Water rushing/splashing noise since 48 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

jsalama

Reaction score
Hi,

As I presume many plumbers visit this website I have a noise issue that started 48 hours ago which I would appreciate feedback.

I live in a condo on the second floor of a three floor building. The building was built in 1988.

48 hours ago noise started in the pipes that are behind the drywall in our bathroom. The sound is water rushing/splashing (almost like being in an aquarium)

The noise will go on for 10 minutes and completely stop for 15 minutes. The cycle will start back with 10 minutes of the water rushing splashing sound. Noise is coming from pipe behind drywall in bathroom. The water tank & washer/dryer are located behind pocket doors immediately to the left of the bathroom. We can hear the noises here also.

Thanks for your expertise.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
When you say water tank I assume you mean "Water Heater"?

I would check the discharge pipe of the T&P valve on the water heater and see if it is hot...
Be careful it may be very hot...

T&P Valve
tp_2.jpg

T&P Valve looking at two sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsalama

Reaction score
Yes the water heater.

I verified the discharge pipe of the T&P valve on the water heater and it is hot.

What does that mean?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If The discharge pipe is hot it means the T&P valve is opening...

There are 2 legitimate reasons why a T&P Valve would open:

1. The Pressure is exceeding 150 PSI.

2. The temperature is exceeding 210 Degrees F

The third reason is that the Valve has failed and is leaking.

The T&P is a vital safety device that prevents the water heater from exploding.
I would have a plumber check this out ASAP to determine what is causing it to open.

Click here to see the Mythbusters blow up a water heater

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks