Water meter threads v threaded copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Martiskis

Reaction score
Watermeter.jpeg

In the photo, on the right side, there's a short piece with a threaded coupling on either side. To me, these appear to be the same size threads. Are they likely to be (aka are brass or bronze couplings likely to be same thread as copper?).

If you're wondering why I'm asking. Well, the water meter isn't working, so the city is charging me a fortune. They refuse to replace it because they want these brass looking larger couplings directly attached either side of the meter. I asked a plumber, and they want like $550 to fix it. I'm low on funds....so... pondering doing it myself.

Will I be sorry if I attempt to swap this piece end for end?

I gotta wonder if there's some hidden catch, that caused it to be put this way in the first place.

Please advise, if you would.

Cheers, and thank you! ☮️️

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
go to water company ask them what they want , follow their instructions , and install it no idea what your question is?
you just use the type fittings they require most likely a threaded meter tailpiece both ends and attach accordingly. fitting with blue tape is not usual so big deal put the tail piece?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The new meter should come with the two union to male thread nipples. Add a valve on the house side of the meter so it can be isolated the next time a meter goes bad. Leave pipe on both sides of the meter.

So it should go like this. Valve, pipe, adapter, meter nipple, meter, meter nipple, adapter, pipe, valve, house. Depending on your municipal rules there could be some other components required. All in all $550 doesn't sound like a bad price.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
To add to John's comments, if the water company won't give you the new water meter up front, you can just get another meter nipple and washer like the one on the left side of the water meter and then rework everything as John suggested. It will require soldering copper pipe and making up threaded connections properly, along with careful attention to the horizontal layout so that the water meter fits.

So that gives you an idea of what is involved and whether you want to tackle this yourself. I think the fitting on the right side of the picture is a copper ground joint union (sweat x sweat). That can be removed as part of the rework, as the water meter nipples have a union on the water meter side: there's a washer that is compressed (by the nut) between a flange on the water meter nipple and the water meter body.

Also, if the underground water pipe supplying the water meter is metallic, the water meter should have an electrical jumper around it. In fact, installing that jumper is a critical first step before any changes to the plumbing, because of the possibility that there is current on the metallic water piping. And there should be a grounding electrode conductor running from the electrical service entrance to the copper pipe within 5' of where it emerges from the ground.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks