Water hammer when water running

Users who are viewing this thread

Akarusso

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have a issue with my house.
They changed out some pipes and now when the water runs I get a hammering sound.

I have a video of the issue. How do I attach a link

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a PRV (pressure reducing valve)? If so, suspect that. Adjust the thing to see if that affects the behavior. Get a pressure gauge. Clean, rebuild, replace the PRV if changing the pressure does not fix it.

Akarusso

Reaction score
Hi I just saw this. Thank you for your reply. The home does not have a prv. Do you have an email where I can send you a video to see?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water hammer occurs when flowing water abruptly stops, and the inertia causes the pipe to move, hitting something.

So, to get a true hammer, something must be disrupting the flow. It could be a loose washer in a valve, or some debris left in the pipe that is blocking the flow as it bounces around. More commonly, water hammer happens when something like your washing machine shuts off, the ice maker, the dish washer, etc...something with a fast acting valve that abruptly stops the water. To be happening while water is flowing, it needs to be something that is moving around, disrupting the flow rather than only when you shut the water off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks