Water hammer in hot water recirculation line

Users who are viewing this thread

RSNovi

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just moved into a newly built house that has a hot water recirculation line with bad water hammer. From what I can tell the line runs from the faucet furthest from the water heater to the bottom valve of the water heater. There is no pump. The water heater is in the basement.

Whenever we turn on the hot water, bad water hammer occurs on the recirculation line right near the water heater connection. There is a ball valve on the copper line just before the connection to the water heater and if I close that the hammer goes away.

I didn’t notice it the first few days we lived in the house, but just last night I commissioned the water softener so I don’t know if I introduced some air into the lines. The softener media tank was empty when I turned the bypass valves.

Right now I have that ball valve closed on the recirculation line. Please let me know your advice on how to fix the water hammer and use the recirculation line. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I just moved into a newly built house that has a hot water recirculation line with bad water hammer. From what I can tell the line runs from the faucet furthest from the water heater to the bottom valve of the water heater. There is no pump. The water heater is in the basement.

Whenever we turn on the hot water, bad water hammer occurs on the recirculation line right near the water heater connection. There is a ball valve on the copper line just before the connection to the water heater and if I close that the hammer goes away.
If there is no pump, the recirculation line needs to connect down low rather than at the top of the water heater.

I have no clue as to why you get your symptom.

Normally water hammer is a single bang when you close a valve.

RSNovi

Reaction score
If there is no pump, the recirculation line needs to connect down low rather than at the top of the water heater.

I have no clue as to why you get your symptom.

Normally water hammer is a single bang when you close a valve.
I am getting multiple bangs when we turn the hot water on. It bangs probably for a few seconds and then dies down. The banging sounds like it is coming right at the ball valve.

RSNovi

Reaction score
Trying the picture again.

Attachments

• F2095E66-3267-4F58-8296-3758852B9768.jpeg
    F2095E66-3267-4F58-8296-3758852B9768.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 351
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks