Water conditioning system drain lines

Users who are viewing this thread

straightexhaust

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have included an image of two sketches that I made. The bottom sketch is the way that I am used to seeing backwash lines give or take the studor. The top sketch is what I would like to accomplish which is to tie in the drain lines into the discharge line of my sump pump. I am trying to save all of this water going into my drain fields. In the sketch you will see where I am confused as how to proceed as I think a check valve is not code and would also fail over time and the air gap fitting is not feasible due to the line being under pressure from the pump discharge.

I have three drain lines that I am trying to terminate, one for my softener, oner for my neutralizer and one for my sediment filter. If you can advise me on a solution for the above mentioned tie in, I am assuming the each line would need to terminate separately. However in my thinking there would be no "contamination" but would there we a pressure issue from say the softener to the other units if it wash backwashing and vice versa. Correct me if I'm wrong but i'm thinking that the piston in each head would protect from backflow. I also want to avoid running the lines into the pump basin because I rarely ever have ground water coming in so all of this backwash would fill up and go into my drain tile before the pump float actuated and I don't want that around my foundation anyway.

Thanks for your insight.

Jason
201709111953141000.jpg

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Tie all the drain lines together into a single line. Be sure to use an adequately sized drain line, do not reduce any of them.

straightexhaust

Reaction score
What about where it ties into the sump pump line? Its my understanding that the backwash cycle is regulated by drain restriction, what happens when its backwashing and the sump pump kicks on? I would think the two different pressures would be an issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
Where does the sump pump water go? Softener drain water is not good for the grass. Neutralizer and sediment filter backwash is good for the grass.

Reach4

Reaction score
Its my understanding that the backwash cycle is regulated by drain restriction, what happens when its backwashing and the sump pump kicks on? I would think the two different pressures would be an issue.
The backwash is regulated by a special device called the DLFC -- Drain Line Flow Control. It is a flow regulator. While the differential between input pressure and drain line pressure has some effect on the flow, that effect is limited by the DLFC. As long as the differential is 30 PSI or greater, you have normal flow. There is margin in that 30 PSI number.

I am not going to point to a particular spec, but know that backwash for a softener is usually 5 gpm or less. http://waterpurification.pentair.co...oad/en/4004318-fleck-5810valve-rev-e-jl17.pdf

So what you would want to do is to keep the pressure from getting high. Usually a sump pump line is pretty big. That should keep the pressure from getting big. The sump pump is not designed to pump into much pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks