Water backs up in second sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Grumpy old man

Reaction score
When using the disposal water comes up in the other sink. When running water but not the disposal it drains ok. Today when the dishwasher drained, water came up in both sinks. There is no air fitting on the dw drain. Here is a picture of the pipes. Help!

Attachments

• 68CC6EC4-EF79-454C-83D0-7F6B97687B10.jpeg
    68CC6EC4-EF79-454C-83D0-7F6B97687B10.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 109

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You have blockage either under the sink with all the turns and trap, or past the wall. Remove all the fittings and trap under the sink and check for food waste. If clear you'll need to at least snake the drain. I see galvanized pipe and it notoriously likes to clog up. If a snake doesn't clear it then a power snake is in order.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume there is no basement under there due to you location. If there were, there could be a way to clean that drain line easier.

But since the water does not come up if you don't run the disposal, it is possible that a different connection could make this effect not happen.

I am looking for a solution that takes out that extra jog before the trap.

One easy thing is to make sure you have the right kind of baffle tee. See #12 on

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/double-kitchen-sink-drain-problem.56052/ and make sure you have the "end outlet tee". You probably do, but it would be easy to check.
index.php

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ts-up-water-when-disposal-is-activated.74451/ may be of interest. A possibility is to go to a configuration like this:

index.php

As that link says, that method is disliked on this site, but it may be preferable to what you have now. That uses the other kind of baffle tee.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks