Washing Machine Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
I've read quite a few threads here about upgrading washing machine supply lines, and whether using PEX means that a bump-up in diameter is needed. I am going to be running PEX into my addition, and was thinking about leaving the 3/4" supply all the way to the laundry room. When looking at washing machine valves/outlet boxes/etc, I see almost everything labeled washing machine this or that is 1/2" supply into the valve, with 3/4" male hose threads for the washing machine hoses. Why is that? Does it matter when the supply of 1/2" regulates the flow to the valve? If all machine manufacturers have hose hook-ups for 3/4", why do valves seem to mostly be made for 1/2" supply? A million questions I have, but are the options for supplying the laundry with PEX going to be limited?
An additional question I need help with, if I was going to put together my own configuration, than say buying an Oatey outlet box, are the valves called something special, like boiler drain valve, or does any shut-off valve qualify for laundry applications? Some I see listed as being for 'low water pressure applications' - does residential qualify as low? Thank you.

Last edited:

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
Ah, thank you for the clarification. I hadn't thought the hose is probably thicker than 1/2" copper, ID probably about the same?

Reach4

Reaction score
The 3/4 you see written may relate to the garden hose thread connection or the OD of the hose, rather than the ID of the hoses. Did you find a 3/4 ID washing machine supply hose?

1/2 inch PEX will get hot water to the washer quicker than 3/4 inch PEX. 1/2 will have plenty of capacity for filling a home washing machine.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no benefit to over-sizing the supply to the washer, other than that it might fill a bit faster. I've seen washers piped with 3/8 soft copper, and no one knew any different. The commonly available washer boxes with 1/4-turn shut off valves are about as good as need be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks