Washer standpipe install double check

Users who are viewing this thread

Allthumbs2

Reaction score
Hello:

I am adding a washer and dryer to an apartment in a duplex. This is on the 2nd floor. The other apartment is on the 1st floor. There was a 1-1/2 galvanized vent pipe very close to the new washer location. I am moving that pipe over to my new washer standpipe stud bay.

Note: I believe that only the lower apartment kitchen sink from the 1st floor apartment is using the 1-1/2 galvanized vent that I am planning on using as a drain and vent. That sink connection point is about 10 below and 10 feet over from my new washer connection point.
Note: These is nothing upstream of my washer drain connection point. The pipe goes from my standpipe through the attic and out the roof.
Note: The washer will be a high efficiency front load washer (so less volume of water than some other types of washers).
Note: This will not be inspected and I would like to use the nearby 1-1/2 line if that won't cause problems.

Questions:
  1. Is there any value in increasing the diameter of my vent pipe to 2 inch then reduce it back down to 1-1/2 in the attic before it leaves the roof?

2. I know that ideally my washer standpipe and drain is 2 inch but the nearby drain is 1-1/2. I have read many times that a drain should not be reduced. So my plan is to keep the drain at 1-1/2. Since my standpipe is only about 3 feet from the original 1-1/2” line I am tying into, even if I increased it to 2 inch, it would need to reduce back down to 1-1/2” pretty quickly. Agree to keep it at 1-1/2” or maybe do a portion at 2”?

3. If I use this vent as a drain line, will the lower kitchen sink and new washer drain ok or will there likely be problems?
Thank you!

Last edited:

Allthumbs2

Reaction score
FYI: I tried to include a picture of my proposed layout but the picture does not seem to be visible . I am not sure if it is a problem at my end or the web site. I will try uploading the picture again later but I think my questions may be able to be answered even without a picture.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 If its a vent from the first floor regardless of size you cant connect the washer drain into the vent , 2 your washer should absolutely be a 2 inch drain . but if you are only tieing vents together the 1 1/2 vent would unlikely not be sized big enough and I wouldnt worry about it . since you are under upc code its not venting any toilets
Id explore running 2 inch for the drain concider aborting job if its too much work

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks