Washer box. Need advice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Kilgore Trout

Reaction score
20180225_122715.jpg
20180225_122708.jpg
20180224_130721.jpg
I can't find a comparable model. Want to replace the outlet box.
20180224_130721.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If the old one works, how about contact paper or paint?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you kidding? Nothing compares to a Catch-a-Drip. Keep it.

Thank you very much for knowing the difference between "advice" and 'advise".

Folks with plumbing problems don't seem to know the difference.

Could there be a connection?

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score

How about DEFENSE and DEFENCE?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same word, different spelling. Advice is a noun and rhymes with lice. Advise is a verb and rhymes with pies. If you need advice someone will advise you. Pet peeve. My mother was an English teacher. I still carry the scars.

Kilgore Trout

Reaction score

If the old one works, how about contact paper or paint?
Water flow & drainage work just fine but the box itself is corroded and rotting out.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water flow & drainage work just fine but the box itself is corroded and rotting out.
if its just corroded and rotting out and you want a quick fix, get a little bit of WHITE porable epoxy. use it to paint the interior and pour in about 1/8" into the bottom to form a permanent waterproof bottom.

Reach4

Reaction score
and pour in about 1/8" into the bottom to form a permanent waterproof bottom.
Maybe put a big rubber stopper into the drain hole before attempting this or something similar. https://www.sciencecompany.com/Black-Rubber-Stoppers-Size-Chart.asp

I might clean out what is loose enough, with sand paper, scraper, or whever. Then POR15 or similar. That will control the rust. Then a coat of for appearance paint, masking to control the paint.

Some people even refinish countertops with a heavy contact paper. They usually use a granite pattern for that. Try this search in a search engine if you want to see that:
countertops "contact paper"

Another idea: Remove the bezel. Clean and refinish the box interior, and clean and refinish the bezel separately. Restore the bezel. Maybe a matte black or dark gray finish in the box would hide imperfections, and the light colored bezel would get most of the notice.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Then, kick it to the curb and install a new one. The pipes coming in from the sides is a worrisome thing to me. Looks like the original installer had mental issues. I can't picture a situation where I would feel compelled to run the pipes into the sides of the washer box. Makes no sense to me. If he's fishing for the Golden Pipewrench Award 2018, then he's missed the mark.

By the way, are you related to cutthroat trout?

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Reaction score
Maybe put a big rubber stopper into the drain hole before attempting this or something similar. https://www.sciencecompany.com/Black-Rubber-Stoppers-Size-Chart.asp

I might clean out what is loose enough, with sand paper, scraper, or whever. Then POR15 or similar. That will control the rust. Then a coat of for appearance paint, masking to control the paint.

Some people even refinish countertops with a heavy contact paper. They usually use a granite pattern for that. Try this search in a search engine if you want to see that:
countertops "contact paper"

Another idea: Remove the bezel. Clean and refinish the box interior, and clean and refinish the bezel separately. Restore the bezel. Maybe a matte black or dark gray finish in the box would hide imperfections, and the light colored bezel would get most of the notice.
Thank you for the advice.
I should have taken a better photo. The bottom inside of the box isn't attached to the rest of the box anymore. It's beyond any kind of restoration. I'll restore the the faceplate though.

Kilgore Trout

Reaction score
Then, kick it to the curb and install a new one. The pipes coming in from the sides is a worrisome thing to me. Looks like the original installer had mental issues. I can't picture a situation where I would feel compelled to run the pipes into the sides of the washer box. Makes no sense to me. If he's fishing for the Golden Pipewrench Award 2018, then he's missed the mark.

By the way, are you related to cutthroat trout?
I'm pretty sure he did. I've been doing various repairs at this house over the years and it's always something out of the norm and overly complicated but mostly lacking any kind reasoning. Don't even get me started on the electrical aspects of this house.

Not related to Cutthroat Trout but I'll ask Kurt Vonnegut

Kilgore Trout

Reaction score
DEFENCE and DEFENSE are different spellings of the same word; yet belong to different forms of the English language. Defense is used in American English, and defence is used in British English, which spans Australian and Canadian English.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks