Washer and Kitchen sink drain pipe diameter question

Users who are viewing this thread

LeviY

Reaction score
Hi, I'm remodeling my first home purchase and updating the pluming among other things. The house was built in 59 and has had some work done on it before I bought it.

I've found that the drain line going from the washer and kitchen sink is 1 1/2" and not 2" per new standard building code. I'm trying to find out if I need to replace the drain with 2" or the if current size is adequate. I already have to add in a p-trap for the washer and a sure-vent sense there isn't one for the washer or kitchen sink.

Thank you for your help.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some jurisdiction will require you to upgrade if you change or alter the drains in any way. UPC says you can perform repairs to a system that was legally permited so long as the old system doesn't create a dangerous situation. If you make no changes to the system, it should be legal to leave it as is, even if not the best practice.

If you have the ability to upgrade to a larger diameter, do it. If you have galvanized steel drains, replace all of them you can while you have the opportunity. Steel vents are generally adequate to reuse.

LeviY

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I'll go ahead and replace the drain line and do it right. It's been a frustrating remodel (as I hear is often the case with older homes) you go to fix one thing only to find two others that also need to be fixed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I'll go ahead and replace the drain line and do it right. It's been a frustrating remodel (as I hear is often the case with older homes) you go to fix one thing only to find two others that also need to be fixed.
Put a trap adapter at or near the wall. I see photos of people with glued kitchen traps, and they are hampered when they want to put in a disposal or change sinks.

Speaking of disposals, you might put your new santee low enough for that, even if you don't plan to put one in right now. Consider a cleanout, since where the drain line switches from vertical to horizontal under a kitchen sink is a common clog point. That transition needs to be a long sweep. However if you don't have a cleanout, a trap adapter near the wall can be used as a cleanout. People with too much glued stuff have trouble without a separate cleanout.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"It's been a frustrating remodel (as I hear is often the case with older homes) you go to fix one thing only to find two others that also need to be fixed."
If this is your first remodel, you will need to learn very quickly to expect the unexpected.
In any renovation, you need to budget enough funds to be able to fix those other things that could be fixed while everything is open.
Unless you are like my city street department: they repave a street, a month later open it up to replace some water pipes and two months later open it up again to replace some gas pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks