Venting -- Very strange vent setup in old house

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason S

Reaction score
Hello,

The venting for the sewer drain pipe in my 1911 house is strange. Basically, the old sewer drain pipe was cast iron, and I had it replaced when I moved there in 2016. There are two vents at each end of the run, and let me start with the one in the first and second photos. The former owner went ahead and spray foamed the end of the vent, I'm guessing he didn't understand it's function. So could I just grab a spade bit and burrow the spray foam out and call it good? Since the pipe is flush with the foundation, should I insert some kind of extension to get the gases away from seeping near the outer walls of the house? If so, any tips on what kind to use?

Now, on to the third picture is the other vent pipe. It basically goes up from the basement, through a wall vertically on the first floor, and finishes like it does in the 3rd and 4th pictures at the end of it's run. The 5th picture (hopefully) shows that in the ceiling above the porch, there are holes intermittently cut under the eaves, as you can see by the sunlight poking out. I am guessing they did this to allow the sewer gases to vent out that way. First off, I'm pretty sure that's not to code, and secondly, I think those eave openings are making it crazy cold in our back porch in the winter time. The last picture shows the back of the house, the sewer pipe is sitting somewhere in the upper left portion of that whole build out. Should I go ahead and get a vent ASAP?

Thank you for reading, any responses or replies would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 442
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 528
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 424
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 409

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
When the house was built there probably was no indoor plumbing installed at the time. I'm guessing as things were added, venting became an issue. I would say get your self a licensed plumber and find out what it will take to the work. Now a days Air Admittance Valves can be used and an AAV can certainly reduce the number of vertical stacks that otherwise would be needed. They may not totally eliminate venting to the roof but only a plumber at the home can make a determination.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks