Venting Gas Dryer in Basement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhino1

Reaction score
I have a gas dryer in the basement of a 2 story 4-plex building. To vent the dryer exhaust to the outside, I'd need to go up 8 feet and then horizontally another 15 to 20 feet.

I've been told that the dryer will not be able to blow out all the lint on it own, and the lint will back up and create motor problems. Periodically disconnecting and cleaning the vent behind the dryer would be quite difficult because of inaccessibility.

It has been suggested to me that I could install a dryer duct booster, like a Tjernlund LB2. However, I have read that these boosters will periodically not shut off automatically, even the upgraded LB2. That's a big problem since I don't live at the property.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Check with the manufacturer of the machine; the manufacturer will tell you how many feet of duct (vent) are allowed for a given model. The International Mechanical Code (if applicable in your jurisdiction) as enforces a maximum limit of 25 feet. I think my Kenmore high-efficiency unit can do 25 or so feet. If you use rigid metal duct (not the corrugated junk, or plastic) you can also get long sweep elbows that don't have as much impact on the air flow as a standard tight 90 degree elbow; check www.dry-ell.com

They do make "condensing" dryers that require no vent; they remove the moisture from the clothes and drain it into the same standpipe used by the washer. Unfortunately, they are typically half the capacity of a regular gas dryer.

Any dryer vent needs to be cleaned periodically to remove lint build-up, so regardless of how you route the vent piping you'll need to get in there yearly or thereabouts to clean the vent piping.

Rhino1

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestion.

But does anyone have any experience with dryer duct boosters?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks