Vent pipe for bathroom waste line...and more

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy Merritt

Reaction score
I've done a lot of home remodeling and I'm about a C+ amateur plumber. While I've re-plumbed bathrooms, I've never built a house, from the ground up. If I understand correctly, the waste pipe in a structure needs to be vented through the roof to release gases, and, to provide air pressure for proper down-flow of water and waste. Our house is completely crazy - it started out as a tiny, concrete block structure and various people added on to the thing, about 3 times. From the outside, it's now a fairly attractive colonial. But the second floor was added by by simply building on top of a fairly low-pitched existing roof (a recent discovery, when I built a new stair case), there are walls behind walls, 3 layers of drywall in the ceilings on the first floor - the place is crazy. In an upstairs bedroom, there's a 4-inch PVC pipe (going from the floor to the ceiling) that I believe is a vent pipe for the plumbing. Basically, it could serve no other purpose (pic, below).
DSC06055.png

However, there is no vent on the top of the house. So, I can only surmise that the vent pipe simply empties into the attic (I've never looked in the attic). That sounds crazy to me, but in this house "crazy" is just par for the course. So, while it seems wrong to me: can the vent pipe just open into the attic??? Second, my wife's mother just moved in and we need a bathroom on the second floor. Is there any reason that I couldn't connect to the existing vent pipe to vent a 2nd floor bathroom? I'm hoping that we can leave the vent pipe as it is (although I am assuming that this cannot be correct, code-wise) because (1) our second story is really high (for me), and, (2) we got a new roof, literally, about a week ago. I'd rather not have anyone make a new hole in the roof.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You CANNOT just connect a new bathroom to the vent pipe.
2. You can terminate the vent pipe ANYWHERE you want to although in most cases it would be illegal and unhealthy
3. The vent does NOT "provide air pressure for proper downflow".
4. NOT wanting a hole in the new roof, is NOT justification for not installing the vent properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks