Underground irrigation fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeCO

Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up an irrigation system and was planning to do the following coming out of the backflow preventer (Febco 765-1" PVB): 1" vertical copper pipe going into the ground ~12 inches deep + soldered copper elbow + ~6" of 1" copper pipe away from the house + female copper thread adapter + PVC male adapter to connect to PVC mainline. (note irrigation will be blown out each year)

Are there any issues with having the copper elbow fitting be a soldered connection and buried in the dirt? I am planning to have the copper to PVC transition accessible from a valve box since I will also have a tee there for the mainline along with a few PVC valves.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 foot deep in Colorado. don't you need a foot below local frost line? I sleeve copper or metallic pipe underground

MikeCO

Reaction score
This part of the line would be winterized and drained so it doesn’t need to be all the way down below the frost line

Themp

Reaction score
30+ years on many copper standpipes with copper unions on them so that the backflow valve can be removed for winter in my neighborhood. No failures underground that I know of, but many unions damaged over time from putting the backflow valve back on in the spring. The unions are getting dinged by folks just dropping the backflow valve into place. Soil is clay where I live.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks