Underground Gas PE Fittings. Which do you prefer

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Geobrick, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Geobrick

Geobrick Member

I need to replace a corroded gas riser and I'm considering either the Home-Flex (with compression fittings) or the Continental Industries (Hubbell) with the Con-Stab ID Seal fittings. I can't do thermal fusion because of the lack available space (and the lack of the equipment to do it).

If you've worked with these before and have a preference, let me know.

Here are links to the 2 different brands/methods:
    1) The Continental Industries riser.
    https://www.hubbell.com/continental.../Gas-Fittings/ANODELESS-METER-RISER/p/2894252

And here's a video showing how the Con-Stab fittings are installed:

Seems like a shark-bite type of fitting.

2) The Home-Flex Riser
    HOME-FLEX Underground Poly Pipe Fittings (homeflex.com)
    (scroll down to see the risers).

And here's a video showing how the Home-Flex Fittings are installed.

Seems like a traditional compression design.

Pros/Cons/Preferences? Let me know.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. Geobrick

Geobrick Member

The decision was made for me. I ordered the Home-Flex since the Continental Industries riser was on back-order until June.
    But I'm still interested in opinions from those who've worked with either of them.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. breplum

breplum Member

Plumbing and heating contractor
    In twenty years using ConStab I've only had one leak -discovered at test -which was unusual and bizarre but nothing wrong or different with what I did.
    They are not supposed to sell to you unless you are certified and can show the training card. Always run tracer wire and "Gas Pipe buried" warning tape.
    Depth minimum:18" earth cover.

5. Geobrick

Geobrick Member

Thanks. Good to know Con-Stabs are good.
    Not selling to 'civilians' is probably why I can't easily find them online. I can't argue with that policy.
    I'm replacing the old riser because it sprung a leak so the trace wire is already there (apparently they didn't have the warning tape requirement back in 2008). The old riser pipe corroded right through the side about 20" underground after 13 years. I like how the new risers are designed with the PE pipe going all the way through the riser's body to the top instead of terminating underground at the bottom. If my old one was made that way, I'd still have the corroded hole but wouldn't have the leak. Good improvement.

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I have only used the con stab . just a half dozen times or so worked ok for me

Geobrick likes this.