Underground Gas PE Fittings. Which do you prefer

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
I need to replace a corroded gas riser and I'm considering either the Home-Flex (with compression fittings) or the Continental Industries (Hubbell) with the Con-Stab ID Seal fittings. I can't do thermal fusion because of the lack available space (and the lack of the equipment to do it).

If you've worked with these before and have a preference, let me know.

Here are links to the 2 different brands/methods:
1) The Continental Industries riser.
https://www.hubbell.com/continental.../Gas-Fittings/ANODELESS-METER-RISER/p/2894252

And here's a video showing how the Con-Stab fittings are installed:
Seems like a shark-bite type of fitting.

2) The Home-Flex Riser
HOME-FLEX Underground Poly Pipe Fittings (homeflex.com)
(scroll down to see the risers).

And here's a video showing how the Home-Flex Fittings are installed.
Seems like a traditional compression design.

Pros/Cons/Preferences? Let me know.

Last edited:

Geobrick

Reaction score
The decision was made for me. I ordered the Home-Flex since the Continental Industries riser was on back-order until June.
But I'm still interested in opinions from those who've worked with either of them.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
In twenty years using ConStab I've only had one leak -discovered at test -which was unusual and bizarre but nothing wrong or different with what I did.
They are not supposed to sell to you unless you are certified and can show the training card. Always run tracer wire and "Gas Pipe buried" warning tape.
Depth minimum:18" earth cover.

Geobrick

Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know Con-Stabs are good.
Not selling to 'civilians' is probably why I can't easily find them online. I can't argue with that policy.
I'm replacing the old riser because it sprung a leak so the trace wire is already there (apparently they didn't have the warning tape requirement back in 2008). The old riser pipe corroded right through the side about 20" underground after 13 years. I like how the new risers are designed with the PE pipe going all the way through the riser's body to the top instead of terminating underground at the bottom. If my old one was made that way, I'd still have the corroded hole but wouldn't have the leak. Good improvement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks