UFT-80w SENSOR LOCATIONS FOR PRESSURE AND CH RTN TEMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Ordie

Reaction score
I see other forums talking about the UFT-80w CH RTN TEMP SENSOR and SYSTEM PRESSURE SENSOR installed wrong? Is it wrong or will they work in either location?
In another forum someone was going to contact HTP, but no follow up on what the company said?

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
IIRC those were isolated incidences, but in any case- you can verify your sensor and pressure port locations with the illustration below...

CH_Ret.jpg

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you were only using the bottom return it wouldn't matter... but since you're using top and bottom returns- you should swap locations as indicated by the factory diagram.

I'd let HTP know so they can straighten this production issue out.

Below is from one of their sales brochures for the UFT- with the temp sensor and pressure line in the correct positions...

Boiler.png

Last edited:

Ordie

Reaction score
Just filled it with water, removed all air and awaiting contractor Monday to hook up propane and commission the boiler.
Now I'll need to drain it to swap out sensors ?

Will i need new gaskets/seals from HTP for each sensor?

Last edited:

Ordie

Reaction score

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you pm me with your email address I'll send you their brochure (which you can forward to HTP) from 2016 which clearly shows the temp sensor in the horizontal return run and the pressure tap in the vertical return run.
You can also show them the parts page from the current install manual that also shows the the temp sensor in the horizontal return run and the pressure tap in the vertical line.

Logic question.... with the temp sensor in the vertical line, how will it measure the temperature of the return water if it's coming from the top boiler return port? That's why the temp sensor is supposed to be in the horizontal line downstream of all incoming connections... so it gets return water no matter if it's coming from the top or bottom boiler return connection.

Sad to say, sometimes HTP support is just clueless!

Last winter I had a no-lightoff condition and a cold house... the female HTP "support" tech suggested I rip my 1.5 yo gas fired boiler apart (in FEB!) and clean the heat exchanger combustion chamber because it was likely clogged. I hung up on her and called back 5min later and the next tech told me to just open the throttle on the gas valve 1/4 turn (a 2min procedure with an Allen wrench) because 99.9% of the time that was the cause of the error code I was seeing.... it was running too lean. Well, that worked perfectly and my heat was back in 5min vs. 5hrs ripping apart the HX (which still wouldn't have fixed the problem).

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just filled it with water, removed all air and awaiting contractor Monday to hook up propane and commission the boiler.
Now I'll need to drain it to swap out sensors ?

Will i need new gaskets/seals from HTP for each sensor?
You can still commission the boiler, you can even use it with the sensor in the wrong location.
You will just experience less than optimal performance with the circuit connected to the top boiler return until you correct the situation. If that's your spaceheating loop... you won't be using that any time soon anyway.

Perhaps order the gaskets from HTP now (order more than you need), run the boiler for a couple of weeks, then do the repair and flush your system at the same time. Win... win!

Ordie

Reaction score
You can still commission the boiler, you can even use it with the sensor in the wrong location.
You will just experience less than optimal performance with the circuit connected to the top boiler return until you correct the situation. If that's your spaceheating loop... you won't be using that any time soon anyway.

Perhaps order the gaskets from HTP now (order more than you need), run the boiler for a couple of weeks, then do the repair and flush your system at the same time. Win... win!

Sounds like a plan, gonna order thr gaskets. Just makes sense to swap them around so the CH Loop Sensor reads all RTN water?

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
^ Well, that's how it was designed :D

Like I said... HTP support is clueless sometimes.

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
BTW... see if you can cut a deal w/the tech to have him come back in Jan or Feb with his combustion analyzer to re-check your settings. After "break in" the gas valve throttle may need re-adjusting.

Ordie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help Rob, couldn't figure out how to PM you or I would have?

Looks like part number 7855P-364, will need 2 gaskets at 6 bucks each plus shipping,ouch.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're welcome!

To PM click on my name under my avatar then "start a conversation".

Before you order the gaskets... I'll post my list of spare parts I keep onhand. I have a few things I need to do before it rains this morning, but when I come back I'll post the list for you. You may want to order some common spares.. and some are under $10 since you're paying for shipping anyway.

Ordie

Reaction score
You're welcome!

To PM click on my name under my avatar then "start a conversation".

Before you order the gaskets... I'll post my list of spare parts I keep onhand. I have a few things I need to do before it rains this morning, but when I come back I'll post the list for you. You may want to order some common spares.. and some are under $10 since you're paying for shipping anyway.

I would like that, can you break down the list, say A list is most common failure parts and B list nice to have but rarely fails?
I planned on ordering spare parts, to keep down time during the winter to a minimum.
Also I already swapped out the sensors and purged system of air all is good so far.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13XagKN8dcAJaURSdX6Jbv059PtYflm20/view?usp=sharing

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
^ Ah, much better!

Since I haven't had a failed part yet... I don't know how I would prioritize the spares list other than by what I've read over the last two plus years on other brand mod-con boilers. It seems sensors fail more than other parts... and the good news is that in many cases they are under $10 each. I've even ordered two of some common sensors because they are so inexpensive.
Regarding the control and display boards... the problem in keeping spares of them is that firmware gets updated as program flaws are discovered and corrected. If you order a spare control board today and don't use it for 3 years... you may miss out on a lot of improvements that have been made since you purchased it. That being said, the control board is extremely important, if it fails you're dead in the water so it's important to have a spare.

Anyway, below is my current spares list for the UFT-80W. I believe my first order was about $150, the expensive parts like the control board, display board, inducer fan and gas valve I ordered later on as funds permitted.

http://www.shophtp.com/ecommerce/

My Spares On Hand....
7855P-068 $19 Ignition Rod
7855P-252 $6 GASKET, IGNITER
7855P-031 $7 Flame Sensor (2)
7855P-262 $17 Air Pressure Switch
7855P-092 $24 Exhaust Temperature Sensor
7855P-030 $15 CH Supply Temperature Sensor
7855P-097 $11 CH Return Sensor
7855P-029 $9 Water Level Detection Sensor
7855P-066 $7 Burner Overheat Sensor (2)
7855P-249 $2 O-RING, BURNER PLATE (2)
7850P-210 $8 EXHAUST & INTAKE GASKET
7855P-368 $8 Air Damper
7855P-369 $7 Air Damper Guide
7855P-425 $11 Fan Outlet Gasket
7855P-370 $8 Burner Inlet Channel Gasket
7855P-007 $47 Ignition Transformer
7855P-308 $238 Control Board (no gas sensor on board)(firmware rev 0012)
7855P-344 $91 Display Panel
7855P-025 $158 Blower Motor (inducer fan)
7855P-381 $149 GAS VALVE ASSY

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks