two drain problems what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

pjonesCET

Reaction score
Website
www.phillipmjones.net
My Mother 85 and myself 60 live in this 62 year old rental house.

Due to disabailities, both of use take spong baths because we can no longer get into the cast iron tub (not Clawfoot). Mother had an accident and broke some ribs and went to Nursing home for two months. so littel water was used. Just washing my clothes and my taking a bath and washing up everyday. I ate out of paper plates so kitchen sink wasn't used as much. Now since home the the washing machine backs up water in the kitchen sink. Then after about half hour will make a gurgling sound and the water will then drain. If just washing dishes everthing seems normal.

Now mother has got a bath chair that fits tub. and she went to clean out today. well the water won't run out at all we've pour liquid plumber down the Drain. in the basement I belive there is a long Trap cyclinder about where the sink drain is.

The pipe from tub goes in at bottom, and the exit pipe that attaches to sewer line to the top. There is a cap that screws on top, I assume to remove to dig out clogs.

Is it Possible that whatever is in the Trap had dried out?

On the Kitchen sink about 6 moths go, it got so that water would not drain at all from sink. Finally the owners repair man figured out the vent pipe was clogged and he had to cut out a l section that was so clogged it looked like cement. Is it possible because of low usuage that it has clogged again or this time is it the drain just clogged?

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Like Ted says, call the landlord...

If know you are not going to be gone for awhile, pour some vegetable oil or something similar that wont dry down the drain...about half a cup would do so your traps dont dry out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks