Two cesspools. I think the plumber messed this on up??

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gravel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a friend that just had a basement remodel done. There is 2 full baths on the main level along with a kitchen sink and dishwasher. These are connected to the older precast cesspool (no septic tank).
The basement had an existing 2 pc bathroom, second kitchen sink, and washing machine all connected to a second newer precast cesspool. It had a "low line" so no ejector pump was needed.
The Plumbing subcontractor was called in during the remodel and removed everything from the second cesspool and installed a ejector pump and re-piped all the fixtures into the first cesspool.

My friend was unaware of the changes that were made :) until she complained about the loud noise from the ejector pump while the shower was running or the toilet was flushed. The company told her that it was illegal to have two cesspools in a home and this is why they abandoned the second pool.

It would seem to me that there are some real issues here on what they have done. first they increased the load (almost doubled) into the first cesspool. this is only a single cesspool and not a septic tank. I am not sure of the pipe size going out to the first pool, possibly 3 ". second they removed everything from the second pool and abandoned it without notifying the homeowner. Not sure if it was required to be filled once no longer used.
My friend is so upset about the ejector pump and the fact that all of the waist from the entire home is going into one pool. She called a cesspool company to come clean out the pool because she is afraid of the increased load and they told her the basement fixtures could have remained going into the second pool because it was existing and there was no increased load. I was surprised that the inspector ok'd the additional load into the first pool.
What do you experts think??
the home is in Long Island NY

Thanks Robert

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot imagine anyone approving a cesspool without an intermediate septic tank. You are dumping ALL the waste directly into the ground without processing it, which should be a major EPA violation. Your local codes would determine how many cesspools, if any, were allowed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks