Tub drain assembly advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetboy55

Reaction score
I have an older cast iron tub that the previous home owner had refurbished at some point, and it's in great shape. I am replumbing the bathroom and replacing all the cast iron and galvanized pipe. I need to replace the tub drain/overflow assembly too. The current brass assembly has the drain tail piece coming straight down from the drain hole and into the p-trap, the overflow branches off before the p-trap to run around and up to the overflow. But the new drain assemblies I am seeing are the opposite. The drain hole has a "shoe" that mounts to it and takes the water horizontally to the overflow pipe and the whole assembly goes down from there. I have a floor joist directly in the way of using that kind of drain assembly. I need one that is like the original, where the water drains straight down into the p-trap, and the overflow is what goes off to reach the front of the tub. I prefer plastic. Do they make this kind?
See the picture in case my explanation is terrible.

If this is not something I can buy, how do I make this assembly using Sch 40 and fittings?

Attachments

• Tub Drain shapes.jpg
    Tub Drain shapes.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 105

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick and accurate response, very helpful. Also....is supplyhouse.com a good place for a DIY'er to shop for plumbing parts? Is shipping expensive, should I just reserve them for hard to find stuff?

I can't seem to find this at supplyhouse.com with black trim. Are the threads for the overflow cap and the drain a standard size? Meaning I could buy the drain assembly as needed, then buy seperate drain and overflow cap in black and use them with this t-waste drain assembly?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use them I have a pro account almost identical prices but free shipping. As much complaints I have with suppliers they are very good.
Overflows arent all standard can be one hole or 2. black trim for other brands work. the trim can cost double of the kit just the way it goes if you dont want chrome I just buy a standard chrome and change it later.

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered what I want in chrome. Went on chat with supplyhouse.com and with Jones Stephens (the manufacturer) and neither could tell me the drain size and pitch, so the black drain kit I also purchased is 1 5/8 OD, but comes with a bushing so it will fit 1 7/8 OD shoes also. I hope I made the right choices. I am planning on doing this next weekend.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was told that the style of overflow plumbed to drain were more prevelant on the east coast. The style plumbed from drain to the overflow is more west coast.

Some tubs are sold as Above Floor Rough.. which have the overflow integrated into the tub.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered what I want in chrome. Went on chat with supplyhouse.com and with Jones Stephens (the manufacturer) and neither could tell me the drain size and pitch, so the black drain kit I also purchased is 1 5/8 OD, but comes with a bushing so it will fit 1 7/8 OD shoes also. I hope I made the right choices. I am planning on doing this next weekend.
Jetboy I only used a trim kit like that a couple times I didnt have a problem but didnt like it and wont buy again. If You like it good. but I think you need 1 7/8 " you could swap it out later and install the chrome just to finish your rough in.
Ive never seen this kit befor but did buy straight adapters to work around issues with joists that were in my way

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks