Trying to understand how bad this is: sewer line video

Users who are viewing this thread

nobrainz00

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a house built in 1950.

The inspector provided the below video of the main sewer line, which starts at in a cleanout the back of the house and runs to the front, almost to the sewer in the city street. The part of the video showing what's between the house and street looks unobstructed, but the segment showing what is under the house scares me quite a bit. Would like to know your thoughts!

I fear replacement--if necessary--would be expensive, as the crawlspace is quite shallow and I imagine there would need to be lots of digging needed under the the house. I only got to see the crawlspace at the rear of the house, so I am not sure where the pipe goes underground

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It looked fairly open to me, but some standing water.

It is a while since I looked at it, but I remember a wye branch happening. This made me wonder about the direction the camera was traveling.

I did not take notes, since I thought somebody else might have a better assessment of your video content. The production values were better than others I have watched.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you have standing water under the house, not moving at all at around 6' and most of under the house. The water is moving well under the yard.
Some of the pipe doesn't have the right slope and as a result you see the standing water. I wonder if you can see movement, if you flush a bunch of water all at once.
But it looks like there are no major obstacles.
It's your call.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks