Treatment Recommendations, Please Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

mikebryan

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to well water, been in the house for almost a year, and am using the current system which is a culligan RO and water softener system. I want to purchase my own softener system, and the current one isn't really helping that much. The water is still staining the toilet and sinks orange, and when the water leaves the clothes washer drain it smells like rotten eggs. Heres the lab report attached.
Would really appreciate any input thanks

Attachments

• 700206.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 252

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you sure you tested the water from the well before the softener?

You only show 3.3 grains of hardness.
0.13 mg/L is low enough to be handled by a softener.

You show very low sulfate, so I am surprised by the rotten eggs smell aspect.

I might try sanitizing the well and plumbing, and see what that does by itself. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

But yes, a softener would improve your water. Not the smell aspect, but the sanitizing might do that.

mikebryan

Reaction score
Are you sure you tested the water from the well before the softener?

You only show 3.3 grains of hardness.
0.13 mg/L is low enough to be handled by a softener.

You show very low sulfate, so I am surprised by the rotten eggs smell aspect.

I might try sanitizing the well and plumbing, and see what that does by itself. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

But yes, a softener would improve your water. Not the smell aspect, but the sanitizing might do that.

I did the softener bypass valve let the sink run for 10 minutes then took the sample, would it still be softened water even with the bypass valve in?

Reach4

Reaction score
I did the softener bypass valve let the sink run for 10 minutes then took the sample, would it still be softened water even with the bypass valve in?
Hot, yes. Warm would be a mix. Cold, probably not.

I would get a Hach 5-b hardness test, and test the water hardness from the outside spigot, which should be unsoftened water. Also, you should have a drain valve by the pressure tank. You should turn off the pump, and drain that periodically to wash out sediment and rust. Watch what comes out to see if you need to do that more often. After that clears out, you could let that run , and then sample the water from there.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
2290 tds... not good. I am not a fan of whole house RO in most applications but this is one where it might be considered if you want to reduce your water problems. Trace iron, minor hardness, high sodium, high chlorides, a few other unique items...

A softener would not have any negative affect but it wont do much good either. Check your plumbing and storage tanks, is there any galvanized or uncoated steel?

mikebryan

Reaction score
2290 tds... not good. I am not a fan of whole house RO in most applications but this is one where it might be considered if you want to reduce your water problems. Trace iron, minor hardness, high sodium, high chlorides, a few other unique items...

A softener would not have any negative affect but it wont do much good either. Check your plumbing and storage tanks, is there any galvanized or uncoated steel?
How much is a typical whole house RO?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I will send you a pm. We make many different designs of whole house RO systems, ranging from very cheap (not a good design) to ridiculously expensive (typically completely overkill).