Treating High TDS

Users who are viewing this thread

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've run into another application with extreme TDS. 2100 to be exact. They currently have a 2cf softener to treat 117 hardness. They also have 6ppm iron. I'm treating the iron with cl injection/retention. The existing treated water is a surprising 5gpg the evening before regen. They don't want to afford a whole house RO.
My question is, what do you think about using anion resin to remove the cl- from the na+cl- using anion, the allow the softener to only remove the na+. As it is now, I imagine excess Cl- ions are entering their drinking supply after the softener.
Thoughts?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Using an anion resin will typically result in no TDS change. We use anion resin to target specific contaminants and replace them with chloride. This will tend to dealkalize the water as well. Common contaminant reduction includes sulfates, nitrates, tannins, etc, which will be replaced with chloride so no reduction in TDS. If they want to reduce TDS, RO or similar technology...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks