Toto MS980CMG Neorest 550 lid motor failing

Users who are viewing this thread

brian hood

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a Neorest 550 installed in 2013, the lid fails to stay up about 30% of the time. Tech support says the motor is going out and needs to be replaced, the two options offered are sending the top to them ($450) or having a local authorized plumber stop by (cost unknown). The CSR said that this is work he does himself and that it it easy but that parts are not available. I have a lifetime of experience in the construction trades, hundreds of tools, and typically do my own repairs.
I wonder if there is a source for those motors anywhere?

Thanks for any help provided,

Brian

brian hood

Reaction score
To be more specific the part number of the toilet is CT980CMG, in Cotton white.

neo_550_open_seat.jpg

SOPAS

Reaction score
To be more specific the part number of the toilet is CT980CMG, in Cotton white.

neo_550_open_seat.jpg
Hi Brian, I was wondering if you ever did anything with this problem lid? Can you share what your resolution was as I have the exact same problem installed the same year!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The repair can only be done by the factory in California or by an authorized field service tech. No parts are available to purchase from any third party.

esuvee

Reaction score
Found this while googling for a solution to the same problem and figured I'd chime in with a solution for anyone in the same situation.

Super old school but I took the lid motor out, removed 5 tiny screws from the big end (need a specialty electronics screwdriver kit, the size is PH00), removed the small brushed DC servo motor, and then sanded the contacts and commutator like it was 1950:p

You have to pry open the clasps on the metal motor housing which is risky for running a pick into your finger but otherwise this is super simple.

Worked like a charm!

53626206351_4b2e419240_c.jpg

Alex

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Found this while googling for a solution to the same problem and figured I'd chime in with a solution for anyone in the same situation.

Super old school but I took the lid motor out, removed 5 tiny screws from the big end (need a specialty electronics screwdriver kit, the size is PH00), removed the small brushed DC servo motor, and then sanded the contacts and commutator like it was 1950:p

You have to pry open the clasps on the metal motor housing which is risky for running a pick into your finger but otherwise this is super simple.

Worked like a charm!

53626206351_4b2e419240_c.jpg

Alex
Nice job! I wish I'd held onto a few of those old motors when I was replacing them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks