Too much salt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chattanooga

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question in regards to the amount of salt in barrel. Is it a problem to fill it just below the overflow drain? It's a holding tank with the doohicky salt mixer tube inside. Not sure if you need to know that....

Thanks in advance

Bannerman

Reaction score
The brine tank can be filled to the top with salt. The amount of salt required each regeneration cycle, is determined by the quantity of water that enters the brine tank during Brine Fill.

Since a typical brine tank will hold a few hundred pounds, depending on the softener settings, hardness and water consumption, refilling will usually be required only once or twice per year. An effective method to ensure enough salt remains available is to add more when the salt level approaches the liquid height.

Chattanooga

Reaction score
The brine tank can be filled to the top with salt. The amount of salt required each regeneration cycle, is determined by the quantity of water that enters the brine tank during Brine Fill.

Since a typical brine tank will hold a few hundred pounds, depending on the softener settings, hardness and water consumption, refilling will usually be required only once or twice per year. An effective method to ensure enough salt remains available is to add more when the salt level approaches the liquid height.
Gotcha, I believe it was empty of salt and the water filled half of the tank. I put 4.5-50# bags in it. It overflowed a bit and I stopped adding salt. I assume the water level will fix itself now that it has a descent amount of salt?

Reach4

Reaction score
Gotcha, I believe it was empty of salt and the water filled half of the tank. I put 4.5-50# bags in it. It overflowed a bit and I stopped adding salt. I assume the water level will fix itself now that it has a descent amount of salt?
I doubt it. If the only problem was that you were out of salt, you would not have the water level up to the level where the float stops it (for most softeners).

I would look at the troubleshooting area of the service manual for what can cause the softener to not draw brine. I am presuming that the level does not drop during the brining part of the cycle.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Many softeners are float filled, not time filled. You need to determine which way your system fills. What model is it? Can you post a picture? If your system is float filled then you will need to keep the salt level above the water level at all times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks