Toilet Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

robertsmu

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm renovating a guest bathroom, and due to some weird foundation issues, it appears I have limited choices in venting the toilet.

I can vent 3' downstream of the toilet.

or

I have found this fitting with a high heel outlet that would work in the space I have (naturally the 2" outlet is for the vent) and be a bit easier to work with.

The vent would be dedicated to the toilet (not a wet vent or any of that).

Comments?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Dallas, TX

example.jpg

The lo-heel fitting has to have the vent coming off the top
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
how much of a drop do you have to work with? Are you interested in using that fitting because you only have enough room for a 90 directly under the toilet?

I don't like the idea of that fitting because "sludge" could build up on it and block it off...unlikely but possible.

robertsmu

Reaction score
Yes, there is only enough room for a 90 (2x6 joists on top of 2x sill on top of slab). The slab is only 3 feet wide, the rest of the foundation is pier and beam (looks like they originally framed this area of the house for a porch, then changed their minds and enclosed it as living space).

I like that high heel fitting better than the low heel fitting, though.

robertsmu

Reaction score
Here is an elevation that helps explain it better. Notice the toilet waste line runs parallel to the floor joists.

The fittings in yellow are the "high heel" option. The fittings in pink are the "down stream" option.

Thanks to all.

eLEVATION.jpg

robertsmu

Reaction score
It is possible for me to move the toilet within the room (though it is slightly less aesthetic than the location it is currently in). Here's what that would look like.

My concern is I don't want to have to snake out the toilet every year. The 90 with high heel option concerns me because of the run the 2" vent has to make before it goes vertical.

ELEVATION2.jpg

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
In my area you can use the inlet on the 90 providing that its used as a wet vent.That would be a perfect basin drain and wet vent for the WC

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The vent does not have to come off the elbow, in fact some inspectors would reject that heel inlet 90 for several reasons. The vent going up from a "Y" type fitting in the intermediate wall (within 5-6 feet of the toilet) would be the preferred way.

robertsmu

Reaction score
Since the toilet is less than 4 feet from the vent location, I will go with either of the "pink" options.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks