Toilet drain a little low

Users who are viewing this thread

Sethamin

Reaction score
So I'm redoing my bathroom, and I roughed in the new toilet drain about 1" above the subfloor, figuring that the concrete backer board + thinset bed + tile would put the finished floor just level with the drain. Unfortunately, I didn't account for the fact that the floor was significantly out of level, and after putting down the backer board and leveling compound, the drain is already flush. Once I put down thinset and tile (probably 1/8" and 3/8" thick, respectively), the drain will be about 1/2" below the finished floor.

Is this a significant problem? I figure that as long as there's enough overlapping PVC between the closet flange and the drain, I should still get a solid solvent weld connection. Is that an accurate assessment? And how much is "enough" - I'm thinking around 2 inches or so should ensure a sufficiently good join. I could still cut the whole thing out and replace the closet bend on upwards, but I'd obviously rather avoid that if possible.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can get 2" into the closet bend, that will be way plenty. Be sure you secure the flange through the finished floor and into the sub floor. This can be a problem for a DIY because you will need to drill holes through the tile for the screws and this requires a special drill bit. If possible, you can cut a notch or V where the screws will go and avoid the need to drill. For the toilets I've installed on a new floor, I used #12 stainless steel screws. SS may not really have been necessary, but for a few cents more, it seemed to me to be worth it.

Asktom

Reaction score
The screws should be brass or stainless. If you are having inspection it is easier for inspector to see you used the correct material if they are brass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks