Toilet Bowl Water Level

Users who are viewing this thread

DCNYC

Reaction score
I’m sure this has been asked many times before, but I couldn’t find a definitive answer from the selection of posts I went through here, so apologies beforehand.

I’ve always thought the water level in my bowl was low/water spot small, but after some research I’ve learned this might just be the toilet’s design, but I’m looking for some further insight or advice on this. For reference, it’s a Kohler 1.6 gallon toilet, but I’m unsure of the exact model.

I’ve poured cups of water in the bowl (not enough to make it flush) as a test and it reverts right back to the original water level. I can hear water going down the drain when doing this. I’m assuming this is because this extra water made the level too high. Does this prove the current level it’s at is the designed level and cannot go any higher (this is the weir level, right)? Also, the level right after flushing recedes a small amount after a few minutes. Is this just the water settling, with any extra drops finding their way over bend the into the drain?

As an aside, if this is in fact just the toilet’s designed water level, what would adjusting the tank’s water level do? Right now I have it at the indicated waterline mark. Everywhere I’ve looked says in order to raise the bowl’s water level, you raise the tank level, but if the bowl has a set level, what would raising this do? Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I’ve poured cups of water in the bowl (not enough to make it flush) as a test and it reverts right back to the original water level. I can hear water going down the drain when doing this. I’m assuming this is because this extra water made the level too high. Does this prove the current level it’s at is the designed level and cannot go any higher (this is the weir level, right)?
Yes. Other than the toilet possibly being tilted backwards, this is apparently the design of the toilet.

toilet-cut-out-diagram.jpg

DCNYC

Reaction score
Yes, I meant to put a caveat about a tilted toilet in my post. Thank you all for the responses.

DCNYC

Reaction score
Look at your toilet from the side. this is your water level.
Yes, I don’t have much room on either side of the bowl to evaluate clearly, but when I’ve done that it appeared approximately at the current water level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks