Toilet bowl odors pulled into rim holes by vacuum hose attached to tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Nodors!
Years ago while remodeling my little old house, I placed a vacuum in the crawlspace.
Extended the hose up the back of the powderoom toiletank. Duct tape sealed the hose to the tank air opening.
When turned on, the vacuum pulled air from the toilet bowl through the flush rim holes
and expelled the air into the crawlspace.
Worked well!

Robert Gift

Reaction score
For what? Odors ,discussing. How did the toilet flush with the vacuum on?
Any odors from the bowl (and user) were pulled into the rim holes, up through the tank overflow/filler tube andown the vacuum hose into the crawl space.
Absolutely no smell in the powderoom!
The toilet flushed as usual. Enough air leaked under the tank lid to not cause a strong enough vacuum to affect water flowing outhrough the rim holes.
Withe ceiling vent fan, odors from the bowl and user can be smelled.
Wife loved it. Wants it done at our present house.

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought it was inspired. I would hope this was not a regular vacuum cleaner, but rather a muffin fan or a small radon fan.

I don't know the duty cycle. It would also have diagnostic value.

So what would be the non-hokey solution? Replace the toilet I guess, or to circulate bleach as a treatment to kill off stuff near the holes. Those would not handle the smells that come from outside of the toilet.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a local plumbing inspector who plumbed a pvc pipe to the top of the tank for the same purpose. He said he piped it to the exhaust fan though since that infrastructure is already in place.

Toto Neorest toilets also have a built in deodorizer filter fan.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
I thought it was inspired. I would hope this was not a regular vacuum cleaner, but rather a muffin fan or a small radon fan.
I don't know the duty cycle. It would also have diagnostic value.
So what would be the non-hokey solution? Replace the toilet I guess, or to circulate bleach as a treatment to kill off stuff near the holes. Those would not handle the smells that come from outside of the toilet.
Having nothing better athe time, I used an old garage sale Electrolux vacuum. (It was turned on from a wall switch easily reached from the toilet.)
Was thinking of breaking charcoal briquettes and filling the vacuum's filter bag withe pieces, but never got around to it.
It was just a fun invention to draw odors from waste in the bowl and flatus from the user into the flush rim holes and away.

Speaking of diagnostic value, in Amsterdam I saw a toilet with a flat-bottomed dry bowl.
"Inspection toilet"?
Flush water washed waste forward and down into the outlet which was full of water creating a trap.
(It would have been a good idea to flush before use because the "plateau" was often dry.)

Apparently thatoilet enables one to examine their stool.
A woman discovered blood, reported ito her doctor and had surgery to remove colon cancer.
She says the toilet saved her life!

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
$19,345 list
Our Electrolux was $3 plus $2 wind-up timer wall switch.
19k is for their top of the line, but none of them are cheap. The deodorizer is available in their Washlet seats as well. But once one company introduces a technology, others follow, innovate and expand.

Doing it DIY tho is pretty cool in my books.. Tho it would require some drywall work if and when the toilet gets changed out.
Speaking of diagnostic value, in Amsterdam I saw a toilet with a flat-bottomed dry bowl.
"Inspection toilet"?
Flush water washed waste forward and down into the outlet which was full of water creating a trap.
(It would have been a good idea to flush before use because the "plateau" was often dry.)
I believe those are pretty common in Germany as well.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
... The deodorizer is available in their Washlet seats as well. ...
How do they do that?
Somehow pull in air and send ithrough an activated charcoal filter and back into the room?

Luckily the drywall was easy. The opening is behind the toilet so unnoticed.
Likely a fire code violation. Not sure how to remedy that. Jury-rigged for now.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What did the crawl space smelled like?

For the vacuum fan use a cooling fan for PC's. They are quite and can run 24/7 so no need for a switch. If you need a switch, a wall switch with a remote will work. For fire protection after you finish the setup, use fire proofing foam and just build up layers between the back wall and the bathroom drywall.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do they do that?
Somehow pull in air and send ithrough an activated charcoal filter and back into the room?
Yep, they draw air out of the bowl directly the moment someone sits down on the seat, the air is drawn through a rough filter to get the TP dust out, then blown through a charcoal filter that then exits into the room smelling fresh as roses... well maybe not roses.

The fan is similar to what WorthFlorida describes in a PC fan.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
What did the crawl space smelled like?

For the vacuum fan use a cooling fan for PC's. They are quite and can run 24/7 so no need for a switch. If you need a switch, a wall switch with a remote will work. For fire protection after you finish the setup, use fire proofing foam and just build up layers between the back wall and the bathroom drywall.
The crawl space likely stunk if the odor was notoo diluted by room air.
Buthend of thElectrolux was pointed at a screened outside vent which allowsome air circulation in the crawl space - separate area from the furnace and water heater.

The light switch is already installed so the vacuum runs a shortime.

Building inspector would condemn the combustible vacuum hose bringing flames inside the hollow wall and then into the bathroom.
Was considering flexible clothes dryer exhaust pipe surrounding thexposed vacuum pipe to thElectrolux.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks