Toilet rough hole is too big

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetboy55

Reaction score
I removed the old cast iron toilet flange while remodeling. The hole in the floor is larger than I am used to and my new flange just barely overlaps the sub-floor, not enough support in my opinion, I would have to drive screws at an angle to bite into the sub-floor. So I ordered a flange support from Sioux Chief. Any thoughts on this product? It's just some metal plates that come in two halves that can be inserted under flange and extends a little further out onto the sub-floor for better support and attachment?
2nd - After gluing up my 4" stack (its directly below the toilet, so everything is vertical), my waste pipe ended up a little lower than I had planned, so now the new spigot fit toilet flange doesn't fit tightly into the 4" pipe like it did during my dry run. I really don't want to remove the waste pipe and re-do it, so was wondering if a different style flange would work, I have heard of ones that use an external compression connection to the pipe, but I have never used or seen one. Or do they make a regular toilet flange with a longer pipe that would extend further into the 4" waste pipe and get a tight fit. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can glue a short piece of pipe in the hub and then use a 3 inch ring (outside of hub of 3 inch will goue to inside of 4 inch pipe).
I usually replace rotted wood and put solid blocking to screw flange to with long screws 2 1/2 inch or at least 2 inch. but that repair plate might work

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Thanks. I should have mentioned its only about 3/4" short of optimal. But it was enough that the flange (which I assume has a tapered fit) isn't tight in the pipe. Not sure there is enough room for what you described. I found the Sioux Chief PushTite flange P/N 886-GP which looks promising, would you trust it?
Also, my wood is not rotted or in bad condition, just extra large hole.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that flange is ok Id trust it . If you can get blocks in areound the flange I like that better than a repair plate

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.jonesstephens.com/no-caulk-flanges
Jones Stephens C40320 cast iron 3 inch compression
C40420* 4 pipe x 2 depth
C40430* 4 pipe x 3 depth
C40440* 4 pipe x 4 depth
C40425* 4 pipe x 2 depth has test cap
C40503* 4 pipe x 3 depth has test cap

Oatey Twist-N-Set flanges are inside compression, but they have a plastic ring.

Sioux Chief 889-GPM inside 4 inch PVC. push-tite Sioux Chief 887-GPM/GAM with a stainless ring, could be of interest. https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=pushtite stainless 4 inch pushtite with stainless ring. Their 886 has a plastic ring. If you want to extend these, there is a way to extend them to be as long as you want.

A repair ring can handle when the flange cannot supply the downward force needed to hold the toilet down. PASCO 21013, Jones Stephens C85000, Oatey 42775, and Superior 21015 are repair rings with mounting tabs outside.

Danco Hydro Seat is like a repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under.

Lots of choices. If you post a photo, take the rag out for the photo.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
https://www.jonesstephens.com/no-caulk-flanges
Jones Stephens C40320 cast iron 3 inch compression
C40420* 4 pipe x 2 depth
C40430* 4 pipe x 3 depth
C40440* 4 pipe x 4 depth
C40425* 4 pipe x 2 depth has test cap
C40503* 4 pipe x 3 depth has test cap

Oatey Twist-N-Set flanges are inside compression, but they have a plastic ring.

Sioux Chief 889-GPM inside 4 inch PVC. push-tite Sioux Chief 887-GPM/GAM with a stainless ring, could be of interest. https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=pushtite stainless 4 inch pushtite with stainless ring. Their 886 has a plastic ring. If you want to extend these, there is a way to extend them to be as long as you want.

A repair ring can handle when the flange cannot supply the downward force needed to hold the toilet down. PASCO 21013, Jones Stephens C85000, Oatey 42775, and Superior 21015 are repair rings with mounting tabs outside.

Danco Hydro Seat is like a repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under.

Lots of choices. If you post a photo, take the rag out for the photo.
good list of options! I dont see which one helps when there is no floor below the flange to screw to? he has what is called a flange support in liew of patching the wood

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks