Toilet base water coming out and caulk came out. who to call?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Bolt is the long screw and Nut is the round one that goes on top of the Bolt right?

I am just going by what I am learning from you guys from your answers. The plumber said all I need is a Nut and no need to remove the toilet. Now the guy didn't properly look at the 2nd toilet, he gave a quick look after saying he doesn't have time . later today when I asked him why he ignored my concern on this 2nd toilet, he said all I need is Nut. I believe though not sure than rings and probably the flange is rotten and rusted once he removes the toilet and they may need replacement too.

Yes, the nut is the small hexagon fastener that threads on the closet bolt.

Why do you think the nut needs replacing?

John

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
there was no nut, just the bolt is visible on the right hand side. maybe this is why the white cover is not staying on

Not sure why the nut is missing - makes no sense... You can try putting a new nut on the bolt and hope the bolt doesn't turn (it will if the flange is shot).

John

Questions1

Reaction score
Not sure why the nut is missing - makes no sense... You can try putting a new nut on the bolt and hope the bolt doesn't turn (it will if the flange is shot).

John
just took these picture of the 2nd toilet. only nut missing? or the whole thing neds removed and ring replaced with new bolts and nuts?

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 48

Reach4

Reaction score
I am just going by what I am learning from you guys from your answers. The plumber said all I need is a Nut and no need to remove the toilet. Now the guy didn't properly look at the 2nd toilet, he gave a quick look after saying he doesn't have time . later today when I asked him why he ignored my concern on this 2nd toilet, he said all I need is Nut. I believe though not sure than rings and probably the flange is rotten and rusted once he removes the toilet and they may need replacement too.
After seeing your photos, clearly he looked at the toilet. "All you need is a nut" looks accurate. Then you can put the dress cap atop that. If you don't have the dress cap, then you could locate one... or two so that both sides will match.

That white thing may indeed be a special nut, and your dress cap may be intended to go atop that. But if that does not work for some reason, you can get a brass nut.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
just took these picture of the 2nd toilet. only nut missing? or the whole thing neds removed and ring replaced with new bolts and nuts?

It looks like the nuts are missing from both sides, but I don't know why they would be. Maybe someone installed the toilet and didn't bolt it down..

You need flat washers on top of the rubber washers that are there (the rubber washers help protect the toilet from cracking) before you spin the bolts down.

Despite the toilet not being bolted down, it might still be stable if the bottom of the toilet is flat against your floor and the wax ring is good. If that's the case, then just adding two flat metal washers and two bolts should fix it assuming the flange is in good shape and holding the bolts securely under the toilet.

The white caps usually grab on to the top of the bolts, not the nuts. You might need two white caps to dress it up once you have new nuts installed. Also, if the bolts are too long, the white caps won't seat so the installer may have to trim the bolts to make the white caps fit cleanly.

John

Questions1

Reaction score
It looks like the nuts are missing from both sides, but I don't know why they would be. Maybe someone installed the toilet and didn't bolt it down..

You need flat washers on top of the rubber washers that are there (the rubber washers help protect the toilet from cracking) before you spin the bolts down.

Despite the toilet not being bolted down, it might still be stable if the bottom of the toilet is flat against your floor and the wax ring is good. If that's the case, then just adding two flat metal washers and two bolts should fix it assuming the flange is in good shape and holding the bolts securely under the toilet.

The white caps usually grab on to the top of the bolts, not the nuts. You might need two white caps to dress it up once you have new nuts installed. Also, if the bolts are too long, the white caps won't seat so the installer may have to trim the bolts to make the white caps fit cleanly.

John
my property previous owner and the people rented to improperly installed these including the kitchen cabinets where they just put mismatching long screws that are visible. So the plumbers unhappy with the review said they will come tomorrow and look and if things need repaired replaced, will charge me.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
my property previous owner and the people rented to improperly installed these including the kitchen cabinets where they just put mismatching long screws that are visible. So the plumbers unhappy with the review said they will come tomorrow and look and if things need repaired replaced, will charge me.

Can the review be removed?

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks