To flush or not to flush Navien NHB-150

Users who are viewing this thread

Mev

Reaction score
I have gotten 2 different opinions on flushing my Navien NHB-150 boiler during annual service. The installer, who no longer services or installs boilers, would flush the system during maintenance. A new plumber who came out says it is not necessary to flush. I looked at the Navien website, manuals, and blog. Those resources say a tankless boiler or combo boiler needs to be flushed during service. I can't find any recommendations on flushing a NHB boiler other than when specific issues happen. First, is what I've said correct about flushing the NHB series. Second, if correct, why wouldn't flushing as a general maintenance item help with longivity of the boiler. It still has a heat exchanger, still can get scale. Just confused. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
If you don't add water, you are not adding hardness materials.

I am not a pro, but if the system stays sealed, flushing seems undesirable to me. A water heater, on the other hand, passes new water. That would need periodic removal of deposits.

Mev

Reaction score
Thanks that makes sense. A tankless has the domestic water flowing thru the heat exchanger whenever someone turns on the hot faucet. Simple, but I could not understand it on my own. Thanks again.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Its a heating boiler. If the system was flushed and maybe boiler glycol 30% should ownly need a sample of the water once a year couple of oz.. The minimum glycol mix is 30% for the inhibitor package. Boiler glycol doesn't need to be protected for a hard freeze only slush if the 30% is met.
On a combi the dhw side needs to cleaned at least once a year with vinegar to clean the minerals out of it.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water is the best thing for your boiler. Once it has been heated the air and minerals have been mostly removed or mitigated. Adding new water only makes things worse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks