Tilted the new softener cylinder downwards while on stairs. Any problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Asker123

Reaction score
Hi there,
This might not be a big thing but I am new to all this so just wanted to confirm.
My friends moved the cylinder from the main floor to the basement using stairs and they carried it tilted towards its mouth (where the fleck valve attaches). It was not like a complete up side down position but almost 45 degree angle towards mouth and when they were down in the basement they put it correct position.
Is there anything bad in such way of transportation. Like resin beads coming up towards mouth and blocking anything etc. Just though to ask how stupid it might be.

Reach4

Reaction score
45 degrees or a little more?? No problem.

Many softeners have a top basket where even a really big tilt would not cause a problem.

Asker123

Reaction score
Ok Thanks. On my cylinder. I see a thread for the valve to screw on and then a pipe opening that goes down. Does that pipe goes all the way to the bottom of the tank and resin is all around it. I do not understand how these cylinders are constructed inside. And how do they work. Is everything water/brine wise achieved by that single pipe going into this cylinder? Any material on how does the cyclinder work will be helpful for my understanding. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The distributor tube goes to the bottom of the tank where the bottom basket has slots small enough to exclude the resin beads.

On many softeners the distributor tube is 1.05 inches OD, which is the same size as 3/4 inch PVC. On many softeners it is larger, and it is smaller on a few.

This picture shortens the height aspect of the tank a lot.

Water_Filter_-_Fleck_5800_SXT_Service_Manual_-_43359-01-fleck-5800sxt-manual.pdf_page_20_of_28_2020-03-03_15-17-45.png

Asker123

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my softener cylinder. Will the Valve just be screwed at the top? All water in and out from that pipe? Am I missing something?
IMG_20220125_130256271_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220125_130241850_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220125_130208324_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220125_130152851_HDR.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my softener cylinder. Will the Valve just be screwed at the top? All water in and out from that pipe?
Water goes one way in the center of the distributor tube (up during normal softening operation, and down during backwash).
Hard water goes the other way around the outside of the pipe. So actually the red and blue arrows are backwards on the picture I showed for normal operation. Did your dealer send instructions? If not, ask.

I think that white thing around your distributor tube is a plug, and would be unscrewed before screwing on the valve. I have not seen one of those before. I don't like it because it does not hold the distributor tube down for shipping. I am confused. Normally the distributor tube top is about even with the top of the tank. So is your distributor tube poking out too much? I am not a pro.

The industry-standard thread is 2.5 inch with 8 TPI.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
That white shipping cap will need to be removed. Whether an upper screen is already installed cannot be determined until after the white cap is removed.

The diagram included in post #4 is incorrect as the service flow direction is shown opposite to how it is to flow. While some softeners are configured for upflow brining, the service flow hard water continues to flow downward through the resin media.

Hard water will enter at the top of the tank through the larger opening surrounding the riser tube in the center. While the hard water is flowing down to the tank bottom through the resin within the tank, hardness will be removed. Softened water will rise from the bottom through the riser tube in the center.

The riser tube does not appear to have risen as the top of the riser tube appears in your side view image to be essentially even with the top of the tank.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks