Thoughts on Water Hammer Arrestor Before PRV?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by PipeDreamz, Mar 18, 2021.

1. PipeDreamz

PipeDreamz New Member

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get feedback on setting up my incoming house water line as:

shutoff ball valve > water hammer arrestor > PRV

I share a curb stop city main with my neighbor that has a lawn irrigation system hooked up on their side. I currently do not have a PRV and my pressure normally sits slightly over 80 PSI (I know, I need a PRV). When my neighbor runs their lawn irrigation system, it constantly bounces my incoming pressure between 68-70 PSI. The fluctuation makes it sound like a truck muffler idling within my wall. Yikes!

Although it's slightly redundant, my thinking is that having a water hammer arrestor in-between the shutoff valve and PRV will help extend the life of the PRV. The spikes would be from the city water main and my neighbor's irrigation system when it shuts off.

Thoughts?

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    You don't need it. A PRV is not a quick closing valve.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement