TGI WST Series Type S (Side by Side)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Ginn

Reaction score
This company is out of biz. We just bought the house about a month ago and I need some help. This is a whole house softener and the previous owner used Potassium, as the salt was a health issue for them, plus it killed his vegetation. Anyway, this is an analog dial type and I just have a couple of questions if someone could help.
Below is a snap hot of my dial on the softener, but the hardness dial scale ranges from 200 - 21. I looked at the general area (rio rancho) mapped out by a plumber and the average hardness level here is 8 or so as far as I can tell. Now I am assuming that this average and the dial scale are using GPG. If so, my dial does not allow for 8 as the lowest is 21. I also read to up the hardness level by 20% if using Potassium. Anyway, not sure how to proceed with this and it's bothering the heck out of me when I can't figure something out. I am using 40 lb bags of Potassium. So there is another question. How much and how often? This may be too complex to answer online so if someone is willing to come out and give me a nice tutorial, I am in.

dial.jpg

Thanks
Bob

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Ignore the inner dial setting, only the outer is used. It is rare that these stickers are used correctly.

Post some more pictures of the unit.

I can only assume by the limited information on the picture is that you have a 5600 Econominder valve with an extended meter. We need to know what size of a tank you have so we can determine how much resin you have.

Assuming you have a 10x54 (1.5 Ft Resin) you would set the salt setting on the back of the unit to 12 pounds and the white dot to 36 - 1 days usage.

So far it looks like you are set close enough.

Bob Ginn

Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. See pics.
The tank measures 12" wide +- by 53-54 high, but it has a plastic base, so the actual height of the cylinder is probably less.
Thanks again for your help on this.

Regards
Bob

Attachments

• wst1.jpg
    wst1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 381
  • wst2.jpg
    wst2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 347
  • wst3.jpg
    wst3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 504
  • wst4.jpg
    wst4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 400

Bob Ginn

Reaction score
DittoHead, when you say set the outer dial to 36 which is 3600 gallons if I understand this correctly, does this mean a REGEN will execute when we use 3600 up gallons? Your comment on "1 days usage" confused me somewhat. Can you explain? I really need to get a book to understand the basics of how this system works. I could not even get a manual for this unit, although so many I saw on the web looked similar. Some were digital and many were analog. Even big names like Culligan had almost the same manual dial system I have.

Thanks again for your help and input. I am a retired Electrical Contractor, so if you need any help one day let me know (-:

Bob
cleardot.gif

Bob Ginn

Reaction score
Couple more questions if you would.
1. How do I know when and how much potassium to put in?
2. What is the clear plastic piece which looks like it might be pointed to about 20 on the outer dial?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Tis system design is very common. This valve is the best selling control valve ever. It is a Fleck 5600. http://waterpurification.pentair.com/en-US/product/fleck/5600/

the capacity is set by calculating the total capacity - 1 days water usage. This is called the reserve. Doing the math your system has an estimated capacity of about 3600-4000 gallons. Each person in a house uses an average of 50-100 gallons of water per day.

The clear plastic piece is the trigger that initiates regeneration. When the timer goes around every 24 hours it will hit/miss the gear. When the white dot reaches zero you will notice the trigger is behind the disc. Very simple design and very reliable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks