Sump pump questions

Users who are viewing this thread

fhahnel

Reaction score
I own a two year old home. I recently had a scary problem with the sump pump system. I also have a Zoeller battery backup system. My main pump is a submersible type. Both of these have tether float switches.

My wife noticed water seepage through the 'relief' cuts in the concrete. So I inspected the sump. It was filled to the top. We ended up pulling out both main and backup pumps and found about three inches of mud and gravel in the sump. We cleaned this all out. Cleaned out both pumps.

We then tested both pumps by putting them in a container of water. The main pump is working just fine, the battery backup will not work even after cleaning it out. It runs but does not pump out. Another problem; the float for the main pump keeps getting stuck on the side of the sump. The whole assembly seems to keep moving around.

So two questions:

1. I'd like to replace just the float on the main pump with a float that rides up on a rod similiar to a pedestal pump. Can I buy just the float
  2. I'm going to replace the backup with a water backup system. I'm looking at a "Basepump" which is $300 to $400 depending on which one I buy. The other pump is a "Homeguard" which is about $150 but seems to have much worse specs.
Any opinions on water backup systems and and experience with either of the systems would be appreciated. Also any other hints, suggestions, type of float to buy, adjustments, etc. are wholly appreciated

Fred

Toni Lynch

Reaction score
outdoor sump pump

What do peopel think of outdoor sump pumps if you just can't afford one inside? I live in St. Charles Missouri and need to find out more information on this...

fhahnel

Reaction score
Ian Gills said:
I would buy two new Zoellers (both for the main submersible and the backup). I have a very tight sump pit too (not very wide and not very deep, certainly less than the recommended specs for the pumps) and these work just brilliantly. And use battery for the backup pump, not water powered unless you have extremely long and regular cuts in power (over 7 hours, happening a lot).

Is your main pump a Zoeller?

I have the Zoeller 507 (newer versions of this have a better float switch) for backup (cost about $200) and a M53 for the main pump (cost about $100). You could go for the M57 which has a solid iron base as well (that would stop it moving, but I doubt an M53 would shift about). I do not think these use tether switches, but I am not really sure what these are. You will need a deep cycle battery as well that will cost $100-200. I use an optima blue top marine battery.

I dream of one day owning a bronze version of the main pump (M59 cost $500).

SO on your budget you could replace both, easily.

Zoeller are the best pumps. When I moved into my house it had a sixteen year old M53 that was still working. Rusty but still going. It made the swapover to a new one a breeze (the design has hardly changed in all that time).
How did I know it was sixteen years old? All Zoellers are date stamped.

This is my set-up. Check out the switches. They are not tether, are they?

Model%20507%20Basement%20Sentry.jpg

On a final note, I am extremely distressed to hear that a 2 year old home has a sump pump installation. Water issues should not be an issue with such a new home. My home is 50 years old.

Sumps are code in this area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks