Steam Angle Radiator Valve stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

y2kmurray

Reaction score
I live in a old apartment building and my steam radiator valve steam is loose and leaking.... I disconnected the radiator...then I tried take off the angled radiator
valve...but it wont come off ....using a pipe wrench and hammer... I also applied
heat to it using a pencil torch ...but it still didn't move....the steam pipe has to be at least 50 yrs old.......any suggestions

I thinking about cutting it off....the valve it self...thanks

TMB9862

Reaction score
First question. If this is an apartment why are you trying to fix it? Let the landlord do it so you aren't liable for any damage.

What size is the valve and what size wrench are you using? 3/4 you might be able to get away with an 18in wrench. Larger then that you probably need a 24in wrench. Also be sure to hold back on the pipe. You can use heat but a pencil torch isn't going to do much if anything. You need a decent Mapp gas torch at a minimum.

Chances are it will come apart but with any old steam pipes their is always a risk of the pipe snapping. In that case you need to move back to the next fitting and keep disassembling until something un threads then re-pipe from there.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now Mikey, here is a good application for PB Blaster. Spray it on and wait awhile. Then put a wrench on it.

Other options: A normal-sized torch w/Mapp gas (as has been mentioned).
A larger pipe wrench, with cheater bar if nec.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I must say the best advise is to use an extra large wrench like 24"-48" or cheat bar to get the bigger sizes. I would also say that putting a second wrench on the pipe and hold it as you try to loosen the valve. If none of this works Call a pro

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks