Static Water Pressure Creeping Up

Users who are viewing this thread

Kabra

Reaction score
I have a Zurn 3/4" NR3XL pressure reducing valve. I set the static pressure at 50 or whatever and it slowly creeps up to the low 70s. This happens even when I set the static pressure to much lower settings. Operating pressure definitely is affected by the lower settings so I'm thinking the pressure reducing valve is somehow defective. I'm not a plumber (obviously!) and was wondering if this is a symptom that is familiar to the professionals here? It's a three year old home so the valve is less than 4 years old. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
How high is the incoming water pressure? Maybe you don't need a PRV.

If you do think the PRV is leaking, try searching for "RK34-NR3XL" which is the rebuild kit. I am not a pro.

Kabra

Reaction score
How high is the incoming water pressure? Maybe you don't need a PRV.

If you do think the PRV is leaking, try searching for "RK34-NR3XL" which is the rebuild kit. I am not a pro.

Incoming is low 70s which I would think is ok but no guarantees that's where it's always going to be. Having one seems like cheap insurance. I saw those kits you're referring to when I was googling and a brand new valve is about $20 more. It seems pretty obvious the regulator is the problem so thinking about just going to Home Depot and getting one. Only $73 and looks really simple to replace.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is easy to swap, then good. I was suspecting that the rebuild would be easier. Your pipes may be fairly flexible.

Do you have a hose spigot that you could put a pressure gauge on to watch? Also, are there water towers in your area? Those tend to smooth out the water pressure.

Make sure this pressure rise occurs even when the WH is on "vacation" setting or off.

Kabra

Reaction score
I replaced the regulator last night and it did solve the problem. I put a gauge in just above the pressure regulator while I was at it. I appreciate your input.

IMG_5771.jpeg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Is there a expansion tank on the water heater and have you checked its setup pressure? Water entering at 50° warming to 75° there will be some expansion. Crack a valve with supply shut off measure the amount that drops the pressure back to baseline. How many ounces?

Last edited:

Kabra

Reaction score
Is there a expansion tank on the water heater and have you checked its setup pressure? Water entering at 50° warming to 75° there will be some expansion. Crack a valve with supply shut off measure the amount that drops the pressure back to baseline. How many ounces?

That's a really good point and there isn't one on my system. As I mentioned, the new pressure regulator completely solved my problem but an expansion tank still may be a good idea. I'll try the test that you described. Having the in-line pressure gauge that I installed with the new regulator might give me some new insights being able to observe pressure on a regular basis. Thanks for the tip.

Reach4

Reaction score
Check the pressure gauge 10 minutes after a hot shower, and then you stop using water. Or take a movie of the gauge while you take a hot shower. Don't flush the toilet right after your shower, because that would relieve pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks